Geoffrey Butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

Someone has lightened the crank arms :smile:. Later third party chainring. I used Sugino rings on my Campag cranks.

You can buy longer chainring bolts and chance an inner ring on the Pista and you will most likely need a longer axle. The inner ring will not be supported so not something I'd recommend.

For double chainrings I'd think about a new set of cranks / rings. Plus the matching axle.
Just found this on eBay?

Attachments

• C661440F-6DAB-4D76-968F-11B475B2B4F0.png
    C661440F-6DAB-4D76-968F-11B475B2B4F0.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 19

midlife

Guru
Yep, pista cranks with single ring. A tad expensive but yours is worth a Bob or two..... That's the longer crank beloved of TT riders. The track boys usually used 165 :smile:

southcoast

Über Member
Good morning,

Just measured and its 120mm.

This ties in with the bike being from the early seventies. Later bikes would have been 126mm.
I tend to run my 120mm bikes with either 5 or single speed, although have owned ten speed ones in the past.
As mentioned by @midlife a conversion to a double front crankset with a suitable new axle, would be the best way to get more gears.

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

This ties in with the bike being from the early seventies. Later bikes would have been 126mm.
I tend to run my 120mm bikes with either 5 or single speed, although have owned ten speed ones in the past.
As mentioned by @midlife a conversion to a double front crankset with a suitable new axle, would be the best way to get more gears.
The wheel I removed has a 5 speed cassette on a large flange Campagnolo hub.
think I will stick with this set up.

midlife

Guru
The rear wheel will have a freewheel and not a cassette. If you want to change it the way they work are different needing different tools and kit. Just out of curiosity does the skewer have a straight and not curved lever?

midlife

Guru
Williams branded chainrings were available for Campag cranks BITD, but the older 151 BCD. Need to check on velobase about the BCD of older pista cranks. The plot thickens

southcoast

Über Member
The wheel I removed has a 5 speed cassette on a large flange Campagnolo hub.
think I will stick with this set up.

Yes I would stick to 5 speed. A double crankset, rings and bottom bracket, of similar quality to what’s already on there is not going to be cheap.

midlife

Guru
Not sure my knees, legs and lungs could cope with a 5 speed set up any more lol. Something new like a reasonable Suneace double chain set is less than £50 and unbranded even cheaper.

Top Bottom