Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Has anybody ridden the length of Germany? I have family at both ends (ish) Ploen and Freiburg and it was suggested tonight by my sisters in law that i might enjoy a ride between the two. Has anybody ever done something like this over there?

snorri

Legendary Member
This company publish guides for cycle routes in Germany.
http://www.esterbauer.com/
The website is in German, but with a little perseverance........
The Rhein Radweg takes you from the Hook of Holland to near Freiburg following the river for the most part.

mcfcbird

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Has anybody ridden the length of Germany? I have family at both ends (ish) Ploen and Freiburg and it was suggested tonight by my sisters in law that i might enjoy a ride between the two. Has anybody ever done something like this over there?

Well I tour in the north of Germany being based in Hamburg, but this is quite a useful site I think ..

http://goeurope.about.com/gi/dynami...tp://www.germany-tourism.de/biking/index.html

There's a map showing all the various routes including scenic that you can zoom to get an overview...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I travelled down The Romantische Strasse in June, which is a cycle route from Wurzburg to Fussen (N to S). A fantastic ride which you may be able to incorporate - beautiful route,towns and camps.
The Rhine cycle route probably goes from the far north to the south.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I looked on the eurovelo site...has a few good routes...I like Germany a lot...nice peole, nice countryside and great beer. I even married one of the native girls:biggrin:

I have driven all over the place over there and seen much, but I suspect I'll see it properly on a bike. Oh well...something to plan for during the cold winter months I suppose.

TimO

Guru
Bigtallfatbloke said:
...I have family at both ends (ish) Ploen and Freiburg and it was suggested tonight by my sisters in law that i might enjoy a ride between the two...

Yikes, over 500 miles according to Google Maps, that would probably be more than a couple of days cycling then. ;)

That looks like it's not far short of the German equivalent of Lands End to John o' Groats.

What's the terrain like, many hills?

I rode from the south-west side of Denmark, Tønder, down and through to Aachen. The cycle paths (running parallel to the main roads) were excellent, the people were friendly and helpful, it was well-signposted, and cheap cafs and bakeries were everywhere. And the Youth Hostels were very good indeed. And camping rough was pretty easy too.
Heading down to Freiburg will be a good little trip. ;)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...The dilema would be that I really like The Kinzigtal (spelling??) and the run down to the Bodensee. I also like the North sea islands of Fohr and Sylt. So I'd need to get to one or the other to start which rules out driving over to see in laws in Freiburg 'cos I'd need to cycle down to the bodensee then back again up to Fohr and back down to Ploen and then maybe get a ferry back from Hamburg....it's a weird way of doing it I feel. I could just say to myself that I've seen those areas loads of times already and simply ride down from Hamburg or Bremen...or i could ride from Calais to Freiburg and get a lift home.

Yes it is a very long way and I may well be being over optimistic ....but I can dream...I'll have a better idea of what i am capable of in september and the entire winter to plan it.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Plön to Freiburg eh?

This route suggests itself. Get down to Hamburg and pick up the Hamburg - Bremen route. At Bremen go along the R Weser route to Hannoversche Münden, then follow the R Fulda route to near the source and then over the hills down the R Sinn valley to the Main and a short stretch of the Main to Wertheim. Then along the Tauber valley (part of the Romantische Straße) to Füssen. Then the Königsee - Bodensee route and pick up the Rhine route to Freiburg at Konstanz or alternatively go via Augsburg back to the Danube (which you crossed on the way down) and up to the source. Then down the Wutach valley to the Rhine and so on to Freiburg. I would recommend the Danube variant myself. If you want any details let me know.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Thankyou Andy, that info is really useful.

I also have a friend in Erzhausen who I'd like to visit..in fact he might even come along for the rest of the ride as he toured in the Alps last year and as such is an experienced tourer hill climber in my book....he could give me a tow:biggrin:

redfox

Bigtallfatbloke said:

May be a bit late in the day now, but I have and the route seems to match your request perfectly. You can find the details on this section of my web site.

Top Bottom