Get this....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrunner78

So i got an Apollo Vortice from Halfrauds for the winter. RRP £360 mine for £159. Its not a bad bike actually. Suntour cranks, tourney front deralieur, sram shifters, tektro brakes, no heavy suspension forks and an aluminium frame. Good enough for a commuter in the winter with crud guards fitted.

Anyhoo. Tuesday cycled 1.80 miles to the supermarket. I did it in 7m 29 seconds.

Yesterday i used my Fuji Classic Track and did the same route and took 7m 28 seconds.

I have one junction to tackle and the rest of the journey is plain sailing. I got straight out of the junction both times and put the same or a bit more effort in for the fixie. Couple of moderate hills as well.

I confess to being gutted. Light weight vs moderate weight. "Track" bike vs urban mountain bike equaling one second saving?? Go figure.

Are fixies faster? Yes by one second.

GrasB

Veteran
Way to many variables to measure things like that. Take the bikes to a hard surfaced track & see which is faster.

Take a look at this:
tmp.png
If I take in 5 miles of reasonably intact road the BeOne is the fastest bike, followed by the Fixie (unless it's a constant 1%, +/-0.5% climb, in which case the fixie is faster) & the Hard Rock was way down.

Jezston

Über Member
There are way more significant factors affecting your speed when riding in urban environments than what type of bike you are using. Traffic, weather, lights, luck and your fitness come first. Thing is, which of the two do you find more enjoyable to ride?

OP
OP
Roadrunner78

Roadrunner78

I've thought about this more than i probably should but heres what my thoughts are.

The fixie has a 81" gear, the urban MTB in top has a 71" which apart from the take off im in till im there.

Maybe a slightly lower gear would be more usefull more of the time on the fixie?

Or is it for the ride on the fixie? Like a classic car (fixie is old design) less about speed more about the journey.

I enjoy them both but the fixie has something special like its more than just a bike. Im new to fixies :tongue:.

tyred

Legendary Member
81" sounds a bit high for normal riding. 65" - 70" for general road riding is what is recommended by a retired time triallist that I know. Mine is 69"

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Get better legs, then you will be able to get on top of that 81" gear and sit on it. :tongue:

You are riding the Fuji track stock gearing?

GrasB

Veteran
81" is about what 24mph/100rpm, that's a big gear for winter road riding.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Should be compatible, but I'd pay out for Dura-ace, its only about £5-7 more and the quality is top notch. I think most cogs have the same thread, its the lockrings you need to be really anal about.

Shimano Dura-ace is the only sprocket I have ever used, bar the stock one The stock one, I am assuming is made by Formula, since the hubs and lockring are both made by Formula).

Top Bottom