Get ya tin hat on!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Remnants from a Chinese rocket are expected to fall back to Earth in an uncontrolled re-entry this weekend.

~Sky News linkie~

💥🚀💥

A tin hat won't save you from 21 tons of falling rocket debris, but it cannot land any further north than 42'N or further south than 42'S.

I hope no-one is hurt but the CNSA need to sort this out. It's not the first time they've had an uncontrolled re-entry with this class of craft, and there are still several launches to go before Tianhe will be fully assembled.

Drago

Legendary Member
Most of it is fairly low density, sheet metals and composites. Most will burn up.

Some smaller components are fairly dense, like the engine fuel manifolds, but small enough that they too will likely burn up.

The only significant risk are the turbopumps. These are pumps powered themselves by the fuel which pump fuel at high speed and pressure to the engines (SpaceX alone have developed electric pumps of sufficient capacity). Two of these, the size and mass of a typical car engine. There is a more than sporting chance they could reach the surface, and would not be good things to have land on your head.

In the event it looks like a sea borne landing for what little may make it theough, but it really is very poor form on the oart of the Chinese, and they really should be learning better manners as a world class spacefaring nation.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'll take a leaf out of Fred Dibnah's book and put on my flat cap. If it protects from falling factory chimneys I'm sure it will protect from falling rockets.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm worried now if it falls on Accrington town centre. I walked through the small enclosed shopping centre yesterday afternoon. I'd say at best i saw about 50 to 70 in there. The last well known brand name Burtons and Dorothy Perkins have left (Marks and Spencer left 4 years ago),to be replaced by another charity shop. The last thing the place needs is a falling to earth rocket. :unsure:

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I'm worried now if it falls on Accrington town centre. I walked through the small enclosed shopping centre yesterday afternoon. I'd say at best i saw about 50 to 70 in there. Burtons and Dorothy Perkins have left,to be replaced by another charity shop. The last thing the place needs is a falling to earth rocket. :unsure:
Who knows! Some bright spark may turn it into a tourist attraction and revive the local economy. Or it will be left to the teenagers to turn it into a giant bong or something!

Top Bottom