Getting a clip on Youtube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
There's an excellent bit of footage of a friend on his bike with a great story behind it. He's got it on his phone at the moment.

How do I go about getting it up on Youtube?

He'd have to get it from his phone to my computer somehow, what next?

We're both poor with computers so an explanation suitable for idiots would be good please.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What phone has he got? There are quite a few ways of doing it with some phones but some are easier than others.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
What phone has he got?

Ah, dunno :biggrin:

I can pester him tomorrow to get it sent to my computer somehow* and then take it from there perhaps?

*I'll make this bit his problem.

marinyork

It just helps. If we know what phone he has we can work out possible ways to do it such as bluetooth, SD or mini SD or whether it's a case of using the data cable or some other means. Do you have a card reader on your laptop/machine or bluetooth?

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
None of those things as far as I know which probably means no.

I had naively assumed that he could e-mail me the video clip from his phone and then youse could direct me in from there with regards to the Youtube stuff.

marinyork

What phone have you got? Hmmm. Data cable from his phone would seem the most likely scenario unless there's something else.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
My phone is a six year old Nokia jobby, his is newer, I'll see what he knows tomorrow.
I did think getting it off the phone would be the easy bit :biggrin:

marinyork

Uploading is the easy bit. Phone bit just harder to work out as there's a lot of variation in how easy it is transfering phone stuff to PC.

What I've had to do in the past is transfer stuff from other folks phones to my phone so I can easily transfer it to pc for them.

bonj2

if you can see the phone as a drive in windows (plug it into the USB and it should come up), then there should be an .avi file on there somewhere.
copy it to your hard disk (c drive, or 'my documents' etc).
then go on youtube, and follow the upload procedure (you'll need an account).
browse to the .avi file when it tells you to.

If the phone's not able to be visible as a drive, or hasn't produced an .avi file, or needs some proprietary transfer mechanism or unlocking protocol then it's a bit more difficult, and be sure to name and shame the phone, 'cos proprietariness really gets up my goat

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
He's coming over this weekend, I'll see if his phone shows up on this computer and try and take it from there. Ta.
There's no chance of me uploading anything from my phone as I've got no leads for it.

Top Bottom