Getting an insurance refund after an auto-renew authorisation was cancelled - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've recently discovered I've been charged for home insurance after emailing the company (Halifax) 2 years ago telling them not to auto-renew.

I was insured by Admiral at lower premiums over the same period.

When I got a renewal reminder in from Halifax last week, something felt off so I checked back through my insurance emails and they've taken payment for two years while I've been insured by Admiral.

I contacted Halifax and they say they'll refund half of the premiums they took and Admiral will refund half of the premium paid to them. This approach still leaves me out of pocket but the Halifax says this is what happens when dual insurance occurs.

My argument is that it's not dual insurance, I'm asking them for a refund of money I told them not to take. They accessed my account after I had written to them withdrawing the authority.

Does anyone know the applicable legislation here? I can't be doing with arguing over insurers' preferred internal agreements.
You should have gone into your bank account assuming on line and cancelled the DD there which is pretty simple to do. Even I managed it without hassle.

D

Deleted member 26715

You should have gone into your bank account assuming on line and cancelled the DD there which is pretty simple to do. Even I managed it without hassle.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The direct debit guarantee, or which Halitwats are signatories, says they should pay it all back.
Unfortunately these things are rarely set up by direct debit. In the case of annual lump sum payments as favoured by Glasgowcyclist and myself the payment is normally made by debit or credit card and they then retain your card details ready to grab the money the following year! No DD to be cancelled in this situation and only instructing them NOT to auto renew, in a way that they find acceptable, can stop the repeat payment. :cursing:

Brads

Auto renewal should be illegal.

There is no need for it and no justification for it . It is simply a tool to allow taking money they might not be getting otherwise. Robbery in other words.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would simply call customer services, explain the situation and then when 'computer say no' ask to speak to a Manager and if they try to prevent you ask for the legal department so you can get contact details for the small claims. I would not accept the 50-50 refund as every legal system would be on your side. Even if the contract says that you can only cancel via certain methods it would be found to be unfair.

ianbarton

Veteran
I would simply call customer services, explain the situation and then when 'computer say no' ask to speak to a Manager and if they try to prevent you ask for the legal department so you can get contact details for the small claims.
It's at times like that I miss my father, who was a solicitor. Some idiot ran into the back of me when I was stationary at a give way junction. Their insurance company refused to pay out. A single letter was sent from Dad in full on legalese and they paid immediately.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've been through this as well. Tried speaking to a manager, same response.. "all companies work this way, and emailing us is not proof that you have opted out". I took it to the insurance ombudsman but they wouldn't look at it unless I had a dispute reference number from the insurance company...which meant being on hold to them for another 45 mins and more stress that I didn't want, so I chalked it up to experience and moved on!

Top Bottom