Getting back from JoG...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HorTs

Über Member
What are the options?

I don't really want to spend another day cycling to Durness for the Bike Bus, nor cycling back down to Inverness.

Anybody tried hiring a car or van?

cnb

Veteran
I did the le jog a few years back..We rode back to Wick caught the train to Inverness then hired a car point to point..Dropped it off in Newcastle nr where we lived

robgul

Legendary Member
Train from Wick or Thurso to Inverness (it's the same train - not many each day) is perfectly feasible BUT you MUST, MUST book and get a PHYSICAL BIKE RESERVATION TICKET* From Inverness there are several trains going south.

Or there are a couple of options in the Links at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk (not cheap, but shared it starts to get reasonable)

Mick F may be along shortly suggesting the bike on a pallet air-freight option from Wick airport.

AFAIK hiring a one-way vehicle that far north is unlikely.

* See Journal 176 at the Cycle : End-to-End site for a sorry story about the train

Rob

OP
OP
HorTs

HorTs

Über Member
I guess what I have been reading is out of date. It was saying that you couldn't take bikes on the Thurso/Wick trains.

theloafer

Legendary Member
we caught the train from Thurso to Inverness but as rob says is perfectly feasible BUT you MUST, MUST book and get a PHYSICAL BIKE RESERVATION TICKET* From Inverness then we used these
http://www.europcar.co.uk on a one way hire picked up just outside inverness station and my mate dropped it off at gatwick where he lives ^_^ also used them to get back from our west coast trip too:thumbsup:

robgul

Legendary Member
.... I forgot - someone that contacted me via the Cycle E2E website did post a soft bike bag to, I think, The Seaview Hotel at JOG - part dismantled the bike to go in the bag and got the bus to Inverness and then the train south. Don't know he fared.

AND - for some of our Boys' Outings we have an "emergency bike bag" in case of train issues .... it's a sheet of the non-woven fabric that's used for weed control in gardens + a roll of tape + some long cable ties (all packed in a polythene envelope and then either taken on the journey or posted to the final night B&B) - remove wheels & pedals (oh, you'll need a pedal spanner!), lower saddle, turn forks and cable tie handlebars to top tube, cable tie wheels either side of frame, shroud in the fabric and tape - carry onto the train as luggage.

Rob

OP
OP
HorTs

HorTs

Über Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. If the Thurso/Wick trains now take bikes then that seems like the best option for me.

Top Bottom