Getting back in the saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
Hi guys,

Probably won't remember me but I was posting here a few years ago when I became unwell and I've been off the bike. I've needed a few hospitalisations and I've spent a year on high dose steroids, so I'm quite a bit podgier now (to the tune of 3 stone!)

I've been desperate to get back on the bike but everytime I did I would have severe pain in my belly. Last attempt was 1 1/2 years ago when I got half a mile down the road and my husband had to come bundle me in the car and take me home!

Now the steroids have done their job I'm going to try again both in an effort to get fit and lose weight.

Any tips from anyone who's been in a similar situation or been successful getting back in the saddle after severe illness? Most difficult bit is going to be realising I can't go full pelt like I used to and will need to take it easy. For that reason I'm taking my hybrid down a cycle path, rather than taking the road bike out.

hope you are feeling better lesley_x, i know how you feel everytime i get back on my bike after couple of months i start to feel bad again and when i recover i need to start all over. the trick is to start slow and build up gradually. i am currently on steriods to about mid sept. good luck.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @lesley_x and welcome back.
Check out our very informal, quite relaxed rides at the Glasgow Belles on Bikes meetup group.
We go at a very easy pace on the green rides.
Should you not feel up to carry on mid ride, one of us will always see you home.
Nobody is ever left behind.
Also, if you like, I could ride with you sometimes. PM me, I work shifts, mostly free midweek, only free on the odd weekend. :hello:

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
Terry, hope you do okay on the steroids. For me they saved my life but the side effects have been absolutely brutal. I'm on them for suspected inflammatory bowel disease, so you can imagine how abdominal pain and symptoms could mess up your cycling schedule. Started off on an 80mg injection and 50mg prednisolone and now down to only 2mg! It has taken me a year!

Pat, I would absolutely love love love to join your group. I'll need to get my confidence up. My biggest fear is I would be unwell during a ride and have to go home or take an impromptu break. I wouldn't want to hold a ride back or cause a fuss. I'm quite embarrassed by my poor health - I'm only 25! I will PM you :smile:

I went for a short 2 mile ride this morning and was reasonably successful :smile: Only 2 miles but 2 miles in the right direction! :smile:

lesley_x i don't need to imagine anything I have IBD myself and know what it is like and how hard it is to get on the bike. the side effects of steriods are brutal but they are doing the job they have been prescribed for so, i am currently taking 6 per day for the next 2 weeks then i can reduce them to 4 per day for 4 weeks.
i did my first ride on thursday for about 3 months only did 3.19 miles but like you said it step in the right direction.

Top Bottom