Getting back into Biking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Underdog1964

Hi,

I have stalked this forum and other cycling forums and decided this seemed the most informative, friendly forum.

With Summer just around the corner I have decided to join up and get back in to biking. I did the Coast 2 Coast last year on a bike I had since my Teenage years, which was bloody heavy compared to the bikes my group mates had.

My biking aim for this year is sell my old bike and buy a nice shiny one and then re-discover England. Then in the future, perhaps even mainland Europe.

OP
OP
Underdog1964

Underdog1964

Hi,

Thanks. I was never in to biking when I did the C2C as I was pretty much always at the back of the group and I was the youngest member! Though sometimes I think it was because I had a full suspension, old, heavy mountain bike whilst they were on super feather light weight road bikes. My position did change on the final day when we got off the roads and on to more dirt, bumpy rocky paths.

At the moment I am looking at this bike. It has a leightweight frame, disc brakes to make a change as I have always had a V-brakes and the price seems quite reasonable.

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165534

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the bike is good value if (and that is a big if) it is put together properly. If you're not sure that you can check this for yourself them my advice is to take a friend. Having seen new bikes from Halfords at Dr. Bike sessions I'd suggest that the spoke tension should be checked thoroughly, the brakes should be checked and the steering and head seat thoroughly checked out. I'd also take a practiced cyclist to watch you test ride it because what some Halfords staff know about bike sizing can be written on the back of a stamp.

On the other hand.....it may not last you if you really get in to cycling. It is, when all is said and done, a bike of modest quality.

Why would you sell your old bike? I doubt you'll get much for it, and having a cheap and cheerful item to take out of an evening or down to the shops is no bad thing.

OP
OP
Underdog1964

Underdog1964

Thank you for the warning, you make it sound like Halfords have chimpanzee's working for them. Though I knew they were abysmal when it came to motor vehicle knowledge, I always thought and hoped that was because halfords were a bike speciality shop and would perhaps be better experianced in dealing with bikes. Maybe I shall keep looking at other bike shops then.

This may sound daft but I don't like idea of paying thousands of pounds on a bike just because its got some gits name on it. I.E Chris Borderman bikes (have you seen the price tag on them!). That dosen't extend to just bikes, I'm the same with clothes.

My plan was to start with a freash new modestly priced bike to let me get a feel of biking and then upgrade the parts on it when money permits. Assuming that all parts are universal fitting.

I sold my bike as I needed the space it was taking up in the garage for a new bike. I sold it today for a whooping £30.

Top Bottom