Getting back into it, hoping to get fitter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve keay

Über Member
Hi Everyone. Ive been on here a couple of years ago in the vintage board when I rebuilt an old Raleigh city bike which I still have and use. Last year I bought a Carrera Vengeance that I cycled to work on occasionally and rode a river track now and again.
The last few weeks the cycle bug has hit again and Ive decided I want to get into commuting, and riding more miles for fun. My commute is only 1.9 miles so I have been looking at longer routes that will take it up to around 7 miles. I work shifts so my commute could be longer or shorter depending on how I feel.
I treated myself to a Boardman Hybrid comp this week from my local Halfords This week as Ive always had great service from the local branch. Wow I love my new steed. Monday, Tuesday and wed I cycled a short 5 mile route with a couple of steep ish hills that made me work then yesterday me and my partners boy cycled 20 miles around the countryside. we took a fairly gentle pace and I felt like I could have cycled a lot further, my legs felt great the only thing that hurt was my arse, hoping it beds into my new saddle :smile:
Tonight a gentle ride around the local river and marina on the mountain bike with the other half on the Carrera Subway I bought her as she also wants to start cycling to work.
Love reading the forums and hope to join in where I can. some great advice on here.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Congrats sounds like you're having fun :bicycle::hello:

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
Well my arse seems to be bedding in ok. I've ridden five miles most days with a couple of climbs.I did laugh yesterday as I set off a 30mph Slow Down sign (course it was downhill)
off to the vets with the dog shortly then me and the boy are off on the 20 mile route we did the other day.

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
Well today I cycled with the boy from Ipswich to Felixstowe and back today. Total of 27.7 miles. Had to go gentle as he's twelve and on a BSO mtb but he did really well. Only a gentle pace and rested when he needed to.
I really feel like my fitness is already getting better. Just short of 100 miles in two weeks. The only problem is after ten miles my arse really starts to feel it. I know the Boardmanc comp is a hard ride after my Mtb but starting to think I need to change the saddle . In thinking of taking the Charge spoon off my vintage ride and seeing how that feels.

RegG

Über Member
The only problem is after ten miles my arse really starts to feel it..

Are you wearing padded cycling shorts or just ordinary jeans/trousers etc? If the latter I would suggest you get yourself a decent pair of padded shorts and/or tights - you will notice a big difference! There are plenty to choose from on sites like Wiggle. :smile::bicycle:

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
Been off the bike a couple of weeks as I've felt really shite, did a gentle few Mike's last weekend but today we went out and did a thirteen mile ride. Felt great, even the hills that usually do me in seemed easier. Booked me and the boy on a 25mile charity ride next Sunday :smile:

HelsBells Cambs

Been off the bike a couple of weeks as I've felt really shite, did a gentle few Mike's last weekend but today we went out and did a thirteen mile ride. Felt great, even the hills that usually do me in seemed easier. Booked me and the boy on a 25mile charity ride next Sunday :smile:

Sometimes a bit of a break can be good, it renews enthusiasm. Great that things are getting easier, enjoy the charity ride :smile:

Top Bottom