Getting back into it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
Hi all, I'm just getting back into cycling nearly fifteen years after I had a bit of an accident, lost my nerve and since gained a few extra stone. Wife bought me a new bike for Christmas 3 years ago and it more or less sat in the garage until this year (wife wasn't too pleased)!
This year I really got back into riding so I have treated myself to a Genesis Volant 10 in the end of season sales to give me a lift in the spring. Trouble is it shows up what hard work my old bike is!

ScotiaLass

Guru
:welcome:
well done for getting back to it! I've been back for a year now and loving every minute.
I'm at my happiest on my mountain bike :bicycle:

bubba

hi welcome to the club :welcome:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Hi all, I'm just getting back into cycling nearly fifteen years after I had a bit of an accident, lost my nerve and since gained a few extra stone. Wife bought me a new bike for Christmas 3 years ago and it more or less sat in the garage until this year (wife wasn't too pleased)!
This year I really got back into riding so I have treated myself to a Genesis Volant 10 in the end of season sales to give me a lift in the spring. Trouble is it shows up what hard work my old bike is!

Whereabouts are ya Mike?

OP
OP
mikeymustard

mikeymustard

Veteran
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm in Cheltenham; unfortunately, me and hills don't seem to get on much these days, which is a bit of a problem since it's quite difficult to get out of Cheltenham without going up a hill! I'm defo a roadie, though my fitness levels are so bad that I don't go very far.

solitaire

Über Member
Good luck Mike.
I had a bad accident in January and have been off the bike since then because of injuries/ confidence issues etc. but I love cycling so much and need to get back on my bike. I've been on the trainer a fair bit recently to get my legs going again and now the time has come to venture out into the big wide world.
The weather at the minute in Cornwall is absolutely diabolical (wind more than anything) but next week isn't looking too bad, so, I have penciled in Tuesday for my first ride. So I've given myself a few day to get my head round it and fingers crossed it'll be all good to go.
Part of me is nervous:unsure: and part of me is chomping at the bit, :bicycle: I am determined to do it. Photograph evidence will be posted if I achieve it.
When I had my accident I was smashed from behind, So 1. I didn't see it coming and 2. I can't remember a thing about it apart from the loud screeching of brakes before it hit me (kia sedona) so I 'm just hoping it doesn't all come flooding back when I get out there. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mikeymustard

mikeymustard

Veteran
well I can't claim my accident was anywhere near as bad, so hats off to you for jumping back on so quickly; good luck, i'm sure you'll be fine once you realise how good it makes you feel. It's scary though innit? I couldn't even take my hands off the bars to make a turn signal for a month!
I did really miss cycling and I wish I hadn't given up for so long, it's been a long hard slog even getting fit enough to do just a few miles. I work with young children who are notoriously filthy, germ-ridden things and I've had a really nasty virus which caused breathing problems, followed by two more, so what little fitness I gained in the summer has been eroded away already!

Top Bottom