Getting back into MTB'ing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I've ridden road bikes exclusively for the last 10 years or so, apart from the odd family outing on very gentle trails. I have an old singlespeed MTB in the garage but I have to face facts and accept that my mid 50's body appreciates a few gears nowadays:sad:

So, I've just ordered a Forme Alport 100: http://formebikes.co.uk/mountain-bikes/alport-100-2/

Forme isn't a brand I'm familiar with, but I like the idea of a 29er and the components seem to be reasonable for the price (I paid £550).

It should arrive before the weekend and I'm really looking forward to getting out and discovering my local trails (I've moved house since last riding MTB's).

Apart from wheel sizes increasing, bars being wider and tyre pressures lower what else has changed in the last decade or so?!

Any thoughts on the bike I've chosen to (hopefully) reignite my love of MTB'ing?

That seems quite reasonable for 550. 29ers evoke strong reactions on here but I've an FF29 I built myself and I love riding it, it suits me, what I want to do and the skills I have. Always look forward to riding it. Let us know how you get on.

Forme is a name I know,and that seems a nice piece of kit for 550.
The mix of Deore(durability)at the front and XT(reliability)at the back seems a good choice.
The fork is on par with the 1K price range,and should serve you well,while not being the lightest.But at our level,would we notice(or care) ?
Yeah,good solid bike for a fraction of money

That seems quite reasonable for 550. 29ers evoke strong reactions on here but I've an FF29 I built myself and I love riding it, it suits me, what I want to do and the skills I have. Always look forward to riding it. Let us know how you get on.

Being of the old school 26er type of guy,I would normally say Pah !!! , no good to me.
But having ridden with and against a fella on a Spesh 29er,I see the point of all wheel sizes.
I killed him on the corners,he killed me on the straights.
Each has its strengths.

Being of the old school 26er type of guy,I would normally say Pah !!! , no good to me.
But having ridden with and against a fella on a Spesh 29er,I see the point of all wheel sizes.
I killed him on the corners,he killed me on the straights.
Each has its strengths.
Without doubt. The only time I've noticed the lack of flickability was on a tight and twisty track I found in Font and I kept missing the turn point. I suspect, only suspect though, I might have done better on a smaller wheeled bike. In all other respects, the 29er wheels make up for my lack of finesse on gnarly sections. In terms of manuals and hops, my comparison is to a slammed stem 90's rigid marin, modern geometry, even on a 29er, leaves that way behind. I know from using my sons Scott, that my 29er is not the most nimble but I go back to what suits me on that. I prefer to keep my arse back and my wheels on the ground. On the fugly argument........no comment, eye of the beholder and all that.

Jody

Stubborn git
Forme isn't a brand I'm familiar with, but I like the idea of a 29er and the components seem to be reasonable for the price (I paid £550).

Saw the website price first and thought no but at £550 it looks like a great bike. Good brakes, finishing kit, fork for the price range.

Hope you have some fun on it.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
I had a drive up to Sherwood Pines today and did 18 miles on the new bike. Photo below is as it came, bar the mudguard and seatpost / saddle (the supplied seatpost was slightly too short).

IMG_0276.JPG

I loved it^_^ I'd forgotten how much fun riding off road was. The trails there are fantastic (much better and more varied than they used to be). My wheels even left the ground on a couple of occasions, though more by accident than design!

The bike performed faultlessly. I can't compare it to any other modern MTB but I was extremely impressed with the whole package, particularly the fork, the brakes and the ability to roll over obstacles. I rode over a few small drops which would have had me in difficulty on my old bike, but I was over them before I realised it on this one.

The only downside was that I'd also forgotten how tough it is riding off road:rolleyes:. My body feels as if it's done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson:boxing: rather than a couple of hours bicycling. But no doubt I'll recover and I shall definitely be back for more.

All in all, great fun and I'm really pleased I now have the option to get off road when I want to.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good bike for the money. I'm just getting back into it. I've an old rigid 26" steel MTB from 25 years ago, and a modern 27.5 full suspension thing. They do roll well, and the suspension makes life easier over the very rough stuff. Disc brakes are phenomenal !

Just wait till you get a dropper seat post. Fab. Great when you are going down something steep and you can drop the saddle out of the way to get your weight back.

Motozulu

Über Member
Glad you loved it - are you sure that bike is the right size for you? the amount of seat post showing says not!

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Glad you loved it - are you sure that bike is the right size for you? the amount of seat post showing says not!

Yes. It's a 20" frame. I have long legs and a relatively short torso. If I sized a frame for my legs it'd be bigger, but then I'd be too stretched out. I don't see a problem with lots of seatpost showing, assuming there's enough left in the frame (which there is here - it's a 420mm Thomson post).

mythste

Veteran
Good bike for the money. I'm just getting back into it. I've an old rigid 26" steel MTB from 25 years ago, and a modern 27.5 full suspension thing. They do roll well, and the suspension makes life easier over the very rough stuff. Disc brakes are phenomenal !

Just wait till you get a dropper seat post. Fab. Great when you are going down something steep and you can drop the saddle out of the way to get your weight back.

If you're just getting back into it and fancy coming to clayton vale to brush up on some skills/watch me fall down a lot, please let me know!

Top Bottom