Getting back on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
After being a die-hard cyclist all my adult life, committing for years in all weathers, I got hit by a car coming out of a side road. Not a terrible accident and I managed to stay on the bike, it just sort of propelled me across the road with a glancing blow, would have been worse if there had been oncoming traffic but there wasn't. But I haven't been able to get back on my bike for the past 3 years. It's ridiculous when I think about it but I'm really really scared. I've become a dad in the meantime and that makes the prospect even more terrifying.

I was sat with two work colleagues yesterday who cycle everywhere and I realised what a big part of my identity cycling was and I want to get back on my bike. I was thinking about pushing on the pavement on the road parts for a while and just cycling on the car-free park bits of my route to work to start with as it's a pretty rubbish route.

Any other tips? Others who've shaken this?

Sharky

Guru
I've had a few spills, mostly in the last 15 yrs. The most serious one was when I was wiped out by a vauxhall corsa. Didn't see it and was knocked out. Air lifted to a London hospital for a couple of nights. Suffered various broken bones. It took several months for the bones to knit back, but because I don't have any recollection of what happened, it did not put me off at all. I had to take special steps, on right hand turns as I couldn't look over my shoulder for a while.

However, my last spill on black ice, going round a bend, resulting in a fractured pelvis has left me with lots of anxiety going round bends and very fast descents. Hasn't stopped me, but I take such bends very cautiously now.

I'm almost 73 now and have been riding on roads for probably the last 63 yrs. Had a few spills learning and when I was a teenager, and then a crop of spills in my 60's. But really the risk of coming off is very low and in all those years, only one involved a car.

Just choose your routes, anti clockwise loops are safest and be extra vigilant at junctions etc.

Confidence soon returns.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had a bad accident in 2020. I was hit head on by a drunk moped rider at 5.20am on a cycle path. I broke my leg, dislocated my thumbs, damaged nerves in my face, cuts and bruises.

Yes it does shake your confidence and it has taken a long time to start enjoying riding in the dark again. But I love cycling and the more I did it after the accident the better it has become.

Dont let it hold you back. You are more aware of the dangers now and thats a positive thing.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I'm struggling too - I was hit by another cyclist back in November 2021 and suffered fairly serious injuries. I did get back into cycling and was starting to get back to longer rides but since the summer and as we headed towards Christmas I've be more and more wary of cycling. Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable on cycle paths as I'm worried about other cyclists (also pedestrians, dog walkers, etc.). I literally have to force myself to get on the bike.

I'd say, yes, look for routes you're more comfortable with and maybe at times when it's likely to be quiet. Is cycling a bit with your colleagues an option? I'm trying to contribute to a couple of threads on here - Three 30-minute rides a week a week and Tiny rides - to bully myself into riding.

Good luck!

Slick

Guru
My experience did not involve any other vehicles but it did lead to a long time off the bike and an operation to allow me to be able to bend my leg again. When I finally got back on the bike, I did feel quite a bit of anxiety anytime I got to a downhill section, which probably left me more vulnerable to another accident as I became quite erratic. For me, there was no magic bullet, and even now I am probably a bit more careful than I was (which isn't a bad thing) but time and repetition was the answer for me and I'm sure will help you.

Good luck though, I understand that deeds are much tougher than a few well meaning words on the t'interweb. :okay:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Trying off road biking first is great advice. I enjoyed road cycling during lockdown when the streets were empty but I just don't enjoy cycling on busy urban roads now. Too stressful.

If you have a road bike, have a look on Gumtree and ebay for used bikes. I got 2 great mountain bikes for £30 and £60. Look for canal paths or cycle paths and go when it's quiet. Much less daunting than diving back in the deep end with your road bike. And even on roads a mountain bike feels a bit safer to me. Heavier and slower, sure, but no skinny tyres. Might help you get back into it.

Mburton1993

I fell off my road bike last June by being a d*ckhead and broke my collar bone, whilst mending I stuck to an exercise bike, my first proper outdoor ride was on a mountain bike in August which was fine as it was slow and off road. When I got back on a road bike however there was some initial nervousness when at speed and that took a few rides to get passed.

Some others have already said it and I agree, off road, cycle paths, canals, mountain bikes, start slow and work back up.

I was thinking about pushing on the pavement on the road parts for a while and just cycling on the car-free park bits of my route to work to start with as it's a pretty rubbish route.

Any other tips? Others who've shaken this?
The advice to get out, take quiet or traffic free roads and paths and slowly build up confidence is probably the way to go.

After that, pretty much anything you think will help.

One thing to do is to look at alternative routes. A routeplanner like https://cycle.travel/ may help open up alternatives.
Any chance of being able to change your start/finish times to avoid traffic?

It may also help not to dive straight into the commuting but to wait until the confidence is higher.

I haven't been able to get back on my bike for the past 3 years.

I'm really really scared. I've become a dad in the meantime and that makes the prospect even more terrifying.

There are other ways of approaching this too and things to consider.

There's the environment, for example. Is your partner supportive? If she (presuming a she) picks up on your apprehension it may transfer back to you - an unpleasant circle.

And there's the mental side. A nasty shock can mess with us long after an event and may be out of proportion to the event itself. How we recall the event and process it can be important going forward.

A bit of nerves or anxiety may not necessarily be a bad thing if it makes us more aware and cautious but if it tips over into a lack of enjoyment or stopping altogether (or not even starting) then maybe it requires some attention.

Since you've posted in the commuting section I'll add that swapping my car for my bike on a 20km commute was a great thing to do. Fitter, for sure, but far happier.

Best of luck!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
After any serious accident you think, after you’ve recovered, that it’s going to happen again when you find yourself back in that environment. You just have to start with small doses, realise that accidents are quite rare , not a certainty, and gradually get back to what you love.

Top Bottom