Getting back some/any kind of fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I've read through this and it seems to me people get obsessed by numbers. As amateur, I presume, riders most of this is questionable.

In January 2019 I had a full scale brain haemorrhage - the "let's see if he wakes up after 10.5 hours surgery" sort of thing. I got on my bike in the May and by August was feeling pretty good. I rode my bike, no numbers, nothing, just rode it.

During the first lockdown in 2020 I rode two hours/day five days a week at the highest speeds I could maintain - 16-17mph. By mid summer I was fitter and faster than in my 20s. Today I'm 67.

Forget the numbers, trainers, turbos, etc. Get on your bike and ride it - hard.
This is the training section of the forum, is that right? The thread wasn’t really about the pros and cons or measurement in terms of performance but, as normal, people try to derail and suggest any kind of reference to this type of thing is unacceptable. Seems to me it is crucial to the subject but maybe I shouldn’t have created the thread and would be more popular by creating boring ones talking about how noble it is to ride for smiles only blah blah blah… or maybe about how great it is to wave at other cyclist or to ride steel bikes only and so on.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is the training section of the forum, is that right? The thread wasn’t really about the pros and cons or measurement in terms of performance but, as normal, people try to derail and suggest any kind of reference to this type of thing is unacceptable. Seems to me it is crucial to the subject but maybe I shouldn’t have created the thread and would be more popular by creating boring ones talking about how noble it is to ride for smiles only blah blah blah… or maybe about how great it is to wave at other cyclist or to ride steel bikes only and so on.
I'd suggest you read your OP. You asked for advice. I recovered from traumatic major illness and regained fitness. My recovery took four months, the norm for men of my age is 18 months - if they survive.

My advice is get on your bike, ride it outside and not worry about anything else. Fitness will return.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I'd suggest you read your OP. You asked for advice. I recovered from traumatic major illness and regained fitness. My recovery took four months, the norm for men of my age is 18 months - if they survive.

My advice is get on your bike, ride it outside and not worry about anything else. Fitness will return.
I am pleased you have recovered and seem to be doing well. Thanks for the advice.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have been off the bike for 2 months, I have a back problem that is being operated on tomorrow (Saturday). I already feel my fitness going, even in my state of slow hobbling. I have been able to do some very, very gentle Zwift sessions of about 10 minutes, but have had to stop in the last few weeks. Post surgery it looks like 6 weeks minimum before I am properly back on the bike, just in time for the bad weather. My resting heart rate has gone up from about 42 to 53, all in just a couple of months.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have been off the bike for 2 months, I have a back problem that is being operated on tomorrow (Saturday). I already feel my fitness going, even in my state of slow hobbling. I have been able to do some very, very gentle Zwift sessions of about 10 minutes, but have had to stop in the last few weeks. Post surgery it looks like 6 weeks minimum before I am properly back on the bike, just in time for the bad weather. My resting heart rate has gone up from about 42 to 53, all in just a couple of months.

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow.

Coming back from surgery sucks in some respects, but you definitely have renewed motivation. And, it's a great goal to aim for. I'm 4 years in a row with destroyed shoulders, back on the bike soon & you've just got to treat the process like normal training. Come back stronger!

Top Bottom