Getting back some/any kind of fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello

Has anybody been able to successfully regain any reasonable type of fitness after a longish layoff without retiring and spending the spare time cycling or whatever? :rolleyes: If so - what's your secret?

I wiped out 13 years of cycling fitness in 12 months or so of slothfulness and have (in the past 9-10 weeks) endeavoured to rebuild something less embarrassing than my current performance. The progress has been underwhelming to say the least. FTP taken down by almost 100 watts (100 watts!) Try as I might, and I have mixed it up slightly and used plenty of previous experience it is really slow progress. HR readings are becoming slightly more pleasing comparative to effort but endurance is non existent and keep getting dropped on Zwift by Miss Marple look-a-likes... (I also have form for this kind of thing IRL).

I am scared to venture outdoors for fear of getting my legs ripped off by the local BSO riding newbie. Maybe something else is amiss... Didn't think it would be this hard. :blink:

Truth be told the slide was on before the last year for a couple of difficult years but always had some base level in there - it feels like starting from scratch thought this time, and I ain't happy. This is not what I ordered!

Any tips for an easy 100watts gain? ^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
OK, so you've had 12 months off (52 weeks) and expected it all to come back in 10 weeks?

Keep going. It'll take more time. There's no 'easy' I'm afraid; I had an enforced 5 months off due to a major operation and it took about 6 months to get the fitness back.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
If you're on Zwift, do some workouts - for working on endurance, I like Lama's Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Do some races - even if it means getting dropped by the Ds, it's doing you good.

Do some Tempus Fugit TTs - see a measureable increase in your fitness as your times come down.

If you can, try making little changes in your diet that you can sustain. I've stopped putting sugar on my breakfast cereal and in my coffee, and I'm sure that that and Zwift have helped me lose a stone since last Christmas.

The main thing is to accept that you need to take things slowly, and progressively. Pushing yourself too hard will end up making it take longer.

I'd suggest a programme, along similar lines to the couch to 5k for running, and mix up the elements, ie short sprints and recovery, with long(ish) plods.

Adequate rest between each session is as important as the session.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If you're on Zwift, do some workouts - for working on endurance, I like Lama's Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Do some races - even if it means getting dropped by the Ds, it's doing you good.

Do some Tempus Fugit TTs - see a measureable increase in your fitness as your times come down.

If you can, try making little changes in your diet that you can sustain. I've stopped putting sugar on my breakfast cereal and in my coffee, and I'm sure that that and Zwift have helped me lose a stone since last Christmas.

Yep thanks have tried most of this. Did my first D cat race on Thursday and managed to hang on for 20 mins until I blew.
Tempus Fugit is a bit boring but I did do faster (for me) rides on there over the weekend and agree it's a good one for this kind of thing, in particular to compare.

I have dropped 13Kg in the past 2 months which although sounds good is relative (I have form for previously being something of a chopper too). :blush:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The main thing is to accept that you need to take things slowly, and progressively. Pushing yourself too hard will end up making it take longer.

I'd suggest a programme, along similar lines to the couch to 5k for running, and mix up the elements, ie short sprints and recovery, with long(ish) plods.

Adequate rest between each session is as important as the session.

Yes, I have definitely been trying the measured approach and not tried to bite off more than I can chew, so to speak. I will probably try to get out of my old habit of riding quite hard everywhere and force myself into more Z2 stuff and sprinkle some sweetspot in there. Even the slow groups seem to have me at Z2/3 and some Z4 just to keep up... ugh

The good news is that your previous fitness levels were when you were 13yrs younger and getting back to that level will be much harder than it was 13yrs ago.... in fact getting fitter/stronger just gets harder and harder, standing still in fitness terms is an achievement in itself:ohmy:

First goal is to be realistic with yourself, maybe compare yourself to other people you know at the same stage in their life rather than yourself some time back.

On the bright side you lost the equivalent of a medium sized dog in weight in only 2 months, i'd take that any day;)

Sharky

Guru
Rest, interspersed with short high intensity rides and regularly riding our club 10's. This gives a measure of how much I am slowing, year on year.
From a "23 PB" to a "33 PW" in only 54 years. Hopefully might get under "30" tomorrow night.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Totally agree fossy and have been out a handful of times time permitting in the last 3 weeks or so. for me Zwift is just to get me back to some kind of level where I have some confidence and also to be used supplementary to real world rides throughout the winter. Additionally I have suffered from foot pain and had various treat,ents for this in recent few years but it effectively put paid to my club riding. Having recently moved areas I have found myself researching the local clubs somewhat online and will eventually go along for a test ride with one of them, that’s likely to be in the aspiring though. Cheers

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sorry, you lost me at 'watts'. I usually just concentrate on getting the smiles and the miles in.
Yeah I get all that sentiment and have seen it on here a lot over years gone by but there’s nothing wrong with people mentioning power, not least in the a training section.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Jump rope... Do that 15-30mins a day and you'll get fitter very quickly. good on the cardiovascular system and great for building bone density, Its also a good calorie burner.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Rest, interspersed with short high intensity rides and regularly riding our club 10's. This gives a measure of how much I am slowing, year on year.
From a "23 PB" to a "33 PW" in only 54 years. Hopefully might get under "30" tomorrow night.
Done a handful of 10’s in years gone by, bloody horrible experience but best of luck for yours tomorrow

Top Bottom