Getting black burning off inside of a wok

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone any hot tips?

It's NOT non stick - just plain metal.

So can use those steel wool cleaners.

Have been gradually scrubbing the affected area for a while on each clean but progress has stopped.

I have the hopeful idea that perhaps there's some harmless but effective household product I can heat up in it to kinda magically shift/loosen it but maybe a vain hope.

If a solution is forthcoming perhaps I can also use it on my various blackened bialetti coffee pots (tho they are aluminium I think).

Smudge

Veteran
You shouldn't clean plain steel pans back to shiny metal. Let them build up the burnt on oil and that makes them non stick. Its how you season pans.
I dont clean moka pots either, i let them go black inside with the coffee oil and just swill them out. It makes better tasting coffee.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You shouldn't clean plain steel pans back to shiny metal. Let them build up the burnt on oil and that makes them non stick. Its how you season pans.
I dont clean moka pots either, i let them go black inside with the coffee oil and just swill them out. It makes better tasting coffee.

Wot he said ^. You really don't want to be getting the black off. The tricky bit is building up the black layer in the first olace

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My old cast iron frying pan just needed some salt cooked in it every now and again. Definitely no soapy scrubbing!!
Similar treatment might work on a wok as well, but wait for a wok expert to happen by to confirm. ..

Anyone any hot tips?

It's NOT non stick - just plain metal.

So can use those steel wool cleaners.

Have been gradually scrubbing the affected area for a while on each clean but progress has stopped.

I have the hopeful idea that perhaps there's some harmless but effective household product I can heat up in it to kinda magically shift/loosen it but maybe a vain hope.

If a solution is forthcoming perhaps I can also use it on my various blackened bialetti coffee pots (tho they are aluminium I think).

That's exactly what I did this morning after the first use of our new iron wok. A brillo pad does the trick. Make sure you rinse afterwards very thoroughly as there will be loads of minute iron 'filings'.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Wot he said ^. You really don't want to be getting the black off. The tricky bit is building up the black layer in the first olace
interesting view from yourself and smudge.
Must admit I never bothered much before but was semi convinced by a certain person that the black stuff was potentially carcinogenic since it was burned on products of combustion.
Never going to have stuff sticking to a wok anyway due to the nature of the cooking system - I avoid non stick coatings as unnecessary NASA propaganda.
Re the moka pot that is only external anyway - was just thinking that if I was made aware of a wonder system I would clean those up. I never wash those in soapy water of course - just wipe.

Other views welcomed from wok experts.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I gather the burnt oil stuff, and blackened food generally could be somewhat carcinogenic, but that said, it mostly stays on the pan, so I'm inclined not to worry unduly. To much grilled or barbie'd food is supposedly bad for the same reasons

Levo-Lon

Guru

ozboz

Guru
Keep empty wok on the stove and heat up the wok to high.
Pour room temperature water into the wok.
Add baking soda to the water in the wok.
Bring the mixture to the boil.
Turn off the stove and soak the wok in the solution for a few hours.
Rub the burnt food residue with the scrubber and clean it thoroughly.

I came across this on the net
Maybe it works

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Maybe it works
Hot alkali is the method used by industry to clean industrial fryers/ovens etc. Soaking in clothes washing powder is also quite effective.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace

Maybe it works
:laugh:

I find it helps to ring the Fire Brigade before I start the process as it saves time at the end.

Top Bottom