Getting fed up of Motorcyclists pulling this stunt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

2175036 said:
What I really want is not to pitch up at my birthday party and find a load of bikers have ate all the cake.

So what I can figure from this nugget is that infact and unless a cyclist pitches up to your party, and doesn't admit that they also either drive a car, ride a motorcycle, or a horse (or spend a lot of time on foot as a pedestrian), you won't give them a welcome :eek:

Remind me again why I'd want to go if invited anyway Adrian ? :rofl:

Linford

2175057 said:
To clarify matters for you, beyond the levels of doubt and confusion your obtuse mind manages, I only get annoyed if there is no space for cyclists available because that is who the facility is for. I have no objection to sharing with a biker or two but I would like them to see their need as subservient to that of a cyclist.

Add to the mix that an awful lot of people (mostly women) are getting run over by left turning buses and lorries in London, do you still say that an ASL is a sensible thing to offer cyclists as they do encourage the less experienced ones to take a gamble to get to the front through tthe left feeder lane which they may otherwise not attempt if the facility were not there ?

thefollen

Veteran
Were I a motorcyclist I'd probably be in the ASL like a tramp on chips.

I don't mind a couple of motorbikes in there either. In fact I like bikes and the sound of their engines. Always a treat if you get to race a nice Ducati Monster out of the ASL. In London it's rare to land in an ASL without a motorbike, well, unless a porky 'Big Bus Tours' bus is in the way.

Providing you're stable and predictable there are usually no dodgy moments as green strikes. The only occasional issue is as regards to left hooks which are usually avoidable with a bit of patience, observation and/or decent positioning. Can totally understand how new cyclists may feel intimidated, but with London comes a fast learning curve.

Buddfox

Veteran
2174928 said:
You don't commute by bike in London do you. It is far from uncommon to arrive at an ASL to find multiple motorbikes cluttering the place up, sometimes to the extent that there is no room for the cyclists for whom, let us remind ourselves, the ASL was designed in the first place.

I was going to say the same thing - and the habit that really grips me, PTWs using the ASL when they haven't had to filter to get to the front. I kind of get it when you're filtering, but if you get to the lights first, do you really need to enter the ASL? Plus, when I move in alongside them, usually on the right hand side as I prefer to filter to the right of traffic, they look at you as if you're being overly antagonistic.

Oops have on occasions been guilty of the same offence, but I get annoyed when on a busy manl road 2 cyclists ride abreast so you cannott overtake safely, as you must give cyclists a wide berth for safety reasons ps More annoying when they just pull out without 1st checking behind them as they dont signal their intentions but we are all road users and there are far to many deaths or injured cyclists every year. Ride safely out there !

Norm

2174451 said:
Only one of us is directing a stream of exhaust gas in the other one's face though.
Given that my Buell's exhaust is under the engine and pointing downwards, the only noxious gases I release above pavement height are the same whichever bike I'm riding. :biggrin:

Linford

[QUOTE 2175548, member: 45"]Oh how I've missed this nonsense.[/quote]

You still aren't offering a coherent argument to refute my assertion though.

400bhp

Guru
No he's not.

400bhp

Guru
Don't patronise please.

Technically and legally I don't know if he is right or wrong. I've about as much knowledge on it as Paul appears to have.

400bhp

Guru
Agreed.

But one person who doesn't appear to be in any way qualified believes that he does know the answer. It's frustrating when people come along with a binary response to something that isn't binary, even more so when they haven't been involved in the earlier discussions.

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 2176349, member: 45"]The regulations are clear. You could Google them, but you say you're not interested. I've briefed you on what they say. Pedals should be fitted with reflectors when riding at night. Not shoes on pedals.

In reality though, the scuffers aren't bothered as long as you're easily seen and lit. But technically you're not legal unless you have reflectors fitted on your pedals. Ironic that I'm using the word technically.[/quote]

See above many many posts.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
As far as I see it, the motorbike use the correct filter lane to enter the ASL

Err...no he didn't. That's a left turn lane with a sign pointing to turn left and a four-foot arrow on the asphalt. The motorcyclist ignored the signage (in itself, a traffic offence I think?) in order to get into the ASL on red against HC 178. So two traffic offences, methinks:blush:.

Incidentally, I am not robbing motorcyclists of the ability to filter, just don't like 'em barging into the ASL where they shouldn't be anyway. It's bad riding to cut through on the inside of traffic, change lanes without indicating etc. What happens if I am going through the junction when a dirty great big motorbike suddenly appears on my left? - wait a minute, that did happen to me!. A collision is more likely under these circumstances. Riding through this junction going straight on in primary, I had a car driver recently undertake me in the left lane only to swing back into the centre lane in front. Not good driving and certainly not good riding from motorcyclists who do this. I don't do it on my bicycle.

I do realise that motorbikes can play a part in reducing congestion, but they should not choose which rules they want to follow and abuse the cycling facilities. I have seen motorbikes ridden in the mandatory feeder lane for some ASL's in Bristol and London.

Bottom line on all this folks is that undertaking (technically a nearside overtake) increases the risk of an accident.

PK99

Legendary Member
As far as I see it, the motorbike use the correct filter lane to enter the ASL

Err...no he didn't. That's a left turn lane with a sign pointing to turn left and a four-foot arrow on the asphalt. The motorcyclist ignored the signage (in itself, a traffic offence I think?) in order to get into the ASL on red against HC 178. So two traffic offences, methinks:blush:.

Incidentally, I am not robbing motorcyclists of the ability to filter, just don't like 'em barging into the ASL where they shouldn't be anyway. It's bad riding to cut through on the inside of traffic, change lanes without indicating etc. What happens if I am going through the junction when a dirty great big motorbike suddenly appears on my left? - wait a minute, that did happen to me!. A collision is more likely under these circumstances. Riding through this junction going straight on in primary, I had a car driver recently undertake me in the left lane only to swing back into the centre lane in front. Not good driving and certainly not good riding from motorcyclists who do this. I don't do it on my bicycle.

I do realise that motorbikes can play a part in reducing congestion, but they should not choose which rules they want to follow and abuse the cycling facilities. I have seen motorbikes ridden in the mandatory feeder lane for some ASL's in Bristol and London.

Bottom line on all this folks is that undertaking (technically a nearside overtake) increases the risk of an accident.

Someone correct me if i am mistaken but: ASL's are for the use and protection of cyclists not motor cyclists

Personally as both a biker who used to ride 26,000 miles a year and a cyclist, I think the motorbike rider in question should not of undertaken. Cage drivers just don't expect you there. A slow filter down the outside taking care of oncoming traffic I would normally do but up the inside, no.

Top Bottom