Getting fed up of Motorcyclists pulling this stunt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

I've lost track tbh :-)

The only person as I see it who got their knickers in a twist was the OP ;)

Motorcycles and cyclists are the same EXCEPT they don't pedal and can go much faster. They still have the same vulnerabilities. So let them chill at the front with you :smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
In my opinion, from the videos you have included in the post and from my personal experience of similar layouts, this isn't something that is worth focusing on. If a cyclist did the same (filter on the left into the asl) would you have a problem with it? Or is it just because it's motorcyclist?
Whilst yes, they shouldn't technically be in there, i think it is probably best to work with motorcyclists rather than against them.

Whilst I might tend to agree with that, one incident in Teddington made me wish they would reciprocate. I was coming from Teddington heading straight on toward the lock, central in the ASL with a motorcyclist on my RIGHT in the ASL not indicating. Lights change, fortunately I am a little slow off the mark. Fortunately, as he turns LEFT across my nose!

{Grammatical aside: nice to see 'whilst' used correctly!}

PK99

Legendary Member
Care to provide a link to the police webpage that backs up what you are saying?
No legislation agrees with what you have said. All vehicles must stop at the first solid line when the red light is shown.

That omission is a quirk/drafting error in the law.

If you were to argue that we should all follow that on pain of prosecution, then what about all of us riding clipless breaking the law every day by not having pedal reflectors?

Buddfox

Veteran
Motorcycles and cyclists are the same EXCEPT they don't pedal and can go much faster. They still have the same vulnerabilities. So let them chill at the front with you :smile:

They don't have the same vulnerabilities - well, at least not to the same extent. They share a vulnerability of being smaller than cars but the scale of this vulnerability is much different. Always feel a lot safer in London on a PTW than on a bike.

Linford

That omission is a quirk/drafting error in the law.

If you were to argue that we should all follow that on pain of prosecution, then what about all of us riding clipless breaking the law every day by not having pedal reflectors?

My SPD shoes have reflector built into the heels. Technically it couldbe argued that when they are clipped in, they become part of the bike/pedal as they are attached mechanically to them - innit

2174451 said:
Only one of us is directing a stream of exhaust gas in the other one's face though.

That's a good point, Adrian. High-level exhausts are slightly try-hard and a little too Troy Corser wannabe for urban commuting.

Nothing beats a pair of Lafranconi tailpipes, burbling away gently at ankle height. All this faddish high-level stuff poking out from under saddles is a little too 'look at me'.

But on the matter of motocycles and bicycles in traffic, the thing that irked and still irks me (despite my Zen-like love of all other people) is the habit of motorcycles filtering until they get to a pair of door mirrors or similar that won't let them go further.

For a cyclist, the mirrors offer a barn-door aperture, but the cyclist is stopped dead by the thwarted motorcycle.

Back in the 80s, Mile End to Russell Sqare was faster on an RLJ-ing bicycle than a speed-limit-breaking but red-light-obeying motorcycle.

On the bicycle, the biggest obstacle was motorcycles blocking my way between traffic lanes.

But back to the important issues... Adrian is right: High-level exhausts on anything but competition off-roaders are naff.

Thank you for reading.

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 2174561, member: 45"]They're not part of the bike. They're shoes.

Which is irrelevant to the law anyway.[/quote]

Care to show us what part of the law stipulates that?

400bhp

Guru
No thanks.

Your short reply to Linford's posts suggests that you know the law intimately and not only that you know how it would be interpreted in a court.

Are you a lawyer and do you know the particular law?

Linford, quite rightly, used the word "technically". Unless a lawyer comes along and states that Linford is wrong then it's not worth any non experts flatly responding with a "no it's not".

Top Bottom