Getting fitness back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For various reasons related to injury, the weather and depression I have done no cycling or other exercise for two months.

I have, only temporarily I hope, lost my enthusiasm for cycling, but today shook myself out of my lethargy and went to the gym. Nothing too strenuous, but it was a start, although I was disappointed at how unfit I have become (at 72 my fitness does seem to drop off quite quickly).

I am now wondering whether to knock cycling on the head for a while and concentrate on the gym to regain fitness and, hopefully, my enthusiasm. The gym is only a mile from the house and so easy to get to, no matter how bad the weather. I have thought of getting a turbo trainer for the house, but the idea doesn't exactly fire me up.

Slick

Guru
For various reasons related to injury, the weather and depression I have done no cycling or other exercise for two months.

I have, only temporarily I hope, lost my enthusiasm for cycling, but today shook myself out of my lethargy and went to the gym. Nothing too strenuous, but it was a start, although I was disappointed at how unfit I have become (at 72 my fitness does seem to drop off quite quickly).

I am now wondering whether to knock cycling on the head for a while and concentrate on the gym to regain fitness and, hopefully, my enthusiasm. The gym is only a mile from the house and so easy to get to, no matter how bad the weather. I have thought of getting a turbo trainer for the house, but the idea doesn't exactly fire me up.
The turbo wouldn't do it for me, and I recently joined a gym as I promised my bike that I wouldn't take it out when the road was covered in salt, a promise I've already broken. If I was trying to get back, I'd probably try and cycle to the gym but whatever you decide, I would recommend giving yourself a break and forget about fitness for a while and try and do whatever makes you happy.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
The turbo wouldn't do it for me, and I recently joined a gym as I promised my bike that I wouldn't take it out when the road was covered in salt, a promise I've already broken. If I was trying to get back, I'd probably try and cycle to the gym but whatever you decide, I would recommend giving yourself a break and forget about fitness for a while and try and do whatever makes you happy.

Thanks. I understand what you say but I'm never sure what is cause and what is effect when it comes to fitness and happiness.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Turbo's take some real mental 'grit' to ride. It's still not easy with 'Zwift', but that needs loads of extra crap. I do use it though, since my broken spine.

Any local 'Go ride' groups you can do ?

I went on a 20 mile off road social today, crap weather, mud like you wouldn't believe, hosed off shoes/shorts/ jackets before I could get in the house... loved it. Glad I went out. Didn't feel like it, but it was a good natter, one new/returning cyclist, all slow, but it was also promoting cycling as two of the guys are linked closely with the councils... It was an easy slow ride but we had fun.

Mrs M

Guru
I’d try various machines and exercises at the gym and do what makes you feel good.
I always enjoyed a workout, followed by a swim, then the steam room and hot tub as a wee treat for my efforts.
Found mixing things up and not doing the same boring routine every time worked well.
Have you tried a night ride?
Decent lights and you’re off!
Best wishes
xx

lane

Veteran
In the winter I have a gym membership it gives me some options. I don't really have anywhere at home suitable for a turbo and sometimes it's nice to get out of the house for a change of scene. I find doing some cross training in the winter can be good as well to save boredom and also it's actually a good thing to do a bit of exercise other than cycling. So I might do some intervals on the bike then have a nice relaxing swim for 30 minutes. I would say it might be worth a try see how you get on. Good luck.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Turbo's take some real mental 'grit' to ride. It's still not easy with 'Zwift', but that needs loads of extra crap. I do use it though, since my broken spine.

Any local 'Go ride' groups you can do ?

I went on a 20 mile off road social today, crap weather, mud like you wouldn't believe, hosed off shoes/shorts/ jackets before I could get in the house... loved it. Glad I went out. Didn't feel like it, but it was a good natter, one new/returning cyclist, all slow, but it was also promoting cycling as two of the guys are linked closely with the councils... It was an easy slow ride but we had fun.

Part of my problem is a tendency to be a loner, and also a lack of confidence that makes me worry about slowing the group down.

Mrs M

Guru
Lone gym visits are the best :okay:
Went with a friend once and found the company (even though a good friend) annoying and couldn’t do what I went there to do, (never again) :laugh:
Also prefer lone bike rides, me time and no worrying about keeping up.

lane

Veteran
The Council where I live run some short rides clearly aimed at people new to cycling so if you can find something like that you wouldn't have to worry. Although I suspect things like that are more in the summer than winter.

Edit - funilly enough notices theses rides advertised at the local council gym I go to.

Gunk

Guru
Part of my problem is a tendency to be a loner, and also a lack of confidence that makes me worry about slowing the group down.

Lots of us are like that, I prefer to ride both motorcycles and bikes alone, Big groups and all the social stuff have never been my thing. My 14 year old son now shares my bike passion so we now really enjoy road riding and mountain biking together which is perfect. We’re already planning some long weekends away in 2020.

Friend of mine went to a local cycle club meet with his son and told me how the first thing some of the members did was to check out the bikes they were riding, they didn’t go back.

Bill Gates

Making a decision to get fit after a setback is a first step and then to go to the gym in a state of unfitness takes courage. Declaring your intentions on an internet forum shows you are prepared to carry out your fitness program to get fit and then to maintain that fitness. No one can ever say that they have cracked this fitness thing. It’s something you have to keep going but the rewards are great.

Congratulations on starting, now you must keep it up.

I’m 70 and over the years I’ve suffered setbacks from injury and illness and getting back in shape is always tough. If you’ve been fit and strong in the past then you have an advantage from muscle memory and the ability to push yourself. The key to progress is adequate recovery at our age. I’ve found that a slow progress is better than doing too much too quickly, after all you’ve got the rest of your life.

You sound experienced and therefore should know what sort of routine to do. For me I follow the principle that high intensity intervals will get you fitter in less time. Twice weekly I do Tabata training, which is flat out sprinting on the spot for 20 seconds and 10 seconds rest x 8. Initially you might be only able to do 1 or 2, which is OK. Warming up and warming down is a must as is stretching. I follow this with lifting weights, pull ups and core strength exercises. This done at least twice a week and mostly 3 times a week. Lifting weights at our age you should allow a 2 day interval before repeating. Maybe one day interval is OK but I never do weights consecutive days.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Do not worry about that. That's the point of a social. We all wait. Don't worry, it's all about promting cycling, sharing knowledge, and getting more folk to give it a go. PS you aren't 'expected' to talk, or be confident with others. Just turn up. I've made some great mates from this forum, by just going on rides together. Shared interests. Makes life fun.

Slick

Guru
Thanks. I understand what you say but I'm never sure what is cause and what is effect when it comes to fitness and happiness.

I reckon they kind of go hand in hand although it's more exercise to get the blood going, any exercise would do to start with.

Either way, I'm glad to hear your taking positive steps. 👍

Top Bottom