Getting fitter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Decided if I got chance in these 2 paternity weeks, I'd get a few rides in to set me up for getting back to the commute. Can't believe how many things have conspired to keep me in the cage for the last few months, although I have managed the occasional one. Gotta get fitter, gotta lose the gut.

Figured I'd start with a bit of variety, got the mtb off the wall. One run last week, reminded me what I'd missed.

Anyway, second run today. About 7miles, predominantly offroad. Typically 100yd of fast singketrack, followed by 20yd of deep mud. the sort you have to hit with speed to keep forward motion as traction is minimal. Also means the rear slides out regularly and quickly - great fun, some real thigh burning as well.

To add to the fun, halfway round the sun disappears behind dark clouds, the wind picks up and I'm riding into a headwind with horizontal rain and hail.;)

Got back to Maltby, nicely knackered, turned onto the main road and headed home. 10 yards and I realise theres a Chav/yoof on a MTBSO on the pavement at the side of me - and he's racing!!

Figured 'chill', but my steady pace matched his race and at the first hill I dropped him :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Guess I'm not quite as unfit as I thought ! :sad::biggrin::biggrin:

Feel better about getting back to my 14mile each way again.

Maz

Guru
I wish I was as fit as you, gambatte.
I had my first commute today after 6 weeks off with my arm in a cast.
Can't believe how tough I found it, and how fat I had become!

(p.s. your avatar freaks me out even more now)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blimey Maz - what did you do - I missed it.

I've only ever had my wrist in a cast for a couple of weeks or so, and that was horrible - still training on the turbo, but my skin was very dry after it was removed, and of course, you can't wash after a turbo session..... ;) never again...although 6 weeks is a long time !!

PS cycling accident - me vs white van man and 30 feet of flying...... ?

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
Blimey Maz - what did you do - I missed it.
Fractured my wrist in a bike-off. Drafted a lorry which decided to slam his brakes on. So did I, but the icy road did the rest!

Top Bottom