Getting gapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
Not being much of a racer myself, I've been following the TdF and become curious:

What's the smallest gap between two riders that gets recognised?

In a mass sprint finish all the riders get the same time even if it is several seconds between the actual finisher crossing the line and the last of the peleton. However how big a gap needs to be created in order for there to be deemed an actual timing gap?

Smeggers

I think it changes depending on the stage, there's a cut off point somewhere near each finish that means no matter what the gaps are at the end, the times remain the same.

(I think!).

Will1985

Über Member
I could be wrong, but I think it is a break in the riders crossing the line of 1 bike length. This does happen which is why contenders will try and stick to each other to avoid losing a few seconds in the GC to their rival.

Then of course, a crash within the last 3km changes everything and they all get the same time if they were in the finishing group where the crash took place.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
All the riders have transponders fitted to their bikes so that their finishing time can be measured accurately. Obviously with 180 or so riders finishing in a bunch there will be a gap of maybe 20 or more seconds between the winner and the last man to cross the line, but they are all given the same time unless there is a gap of one or more seconds (X) between riders anywhere in the bunch, in which case all riders on the wrong side of that gap have +X added to there time.

Moonlight

Also, the 3km rule only applies to a flat finish.

Milliseconds are only measured on Time Trial, but they count if one or more competitors are on an equal second.

Noodley

Chuffy said:
But if the moon is full and the month has a 'V' in it, all riders with dogs and whiny voices get penalised six hours.

Nooooooo! You have disclosed the unspeakable truth...expect to die a painful death. :blush:

mondobongo

Über Member
He could be in trouble if he was to shave his legs though.

briank

Smokin Joe said:
All the riders have transponders fitted to their bikes so that their finishing time can be measured accurately. Obviously with 180 or so riders finishing in a bunch there will be a gap of maybe 20 or more seconds between the winner and the last man to cross the line, but they are all given the same time unless there is a gap of one or more seconds (X) between riders anywhere in the bunch, in which case all riders on the wrong side of that gap have +X added to there time.

I think it's worse than that!
All those who finish in a bunch together get the same time as the leading rider. So if the first 50 cross the line as one bunch they all get the same time as the winner. The 51st rider may be only a second behind the 50th, but 10 seconds behind the winnner, so he - and anyone who finishes in the same bunch with him will get a time 10 secs slower than the first 50.
I think.:ohmy:

Top Bottom