Getting in touch with relatives you haven't spoken to for decades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Hope fully your uncle isn't a cyclist on Cyclechat...

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had virtually the same experience and it did not end well.
My dad (really quite poor) fell out with one of his brothers (rich) when I was 10 yrs old. No surprise as they were both miserable b*stards.
Aged about 40 I decided to call and see the uncle.
He, literally, cut me dead.......told me I was dead in his eyes. Geez I was 10 when they fell out.
I know the next bit because his wife (my aunty) told another auntie......he went in and laughed about what he had done...she was very upset.
Never saw him again.
The same miserable b*stard cut his own son (my cousin) out of his will and left all his money to a grand daughter....a cool half £million.
So........I suggest.....knock on by all means and hope for the best BUT be prepared for the worst.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Give it a shot, although at 85 years old you may have to manage your expectations.
From snippets she mentioned when I was growing up, my paternal Grandma had a wealth of information about hers and my Grandpa's families. When I came to look in detail at my own family history, she was dead, which was frustrating. And when I discussed my findings with my uncles and aunt, I knew more about their uncles and aunts and grandparents than they did, even though they all largely lived within a few miles of each other in a Lincolnshire market town.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I never wrote down what my grandad and granny told me about their family and what they told me I've forgotten... they were both born in 1899 and could have told me about their grandparents, going back at least another 60 years. I wasn't bothered then, and to be honest what's gone is gone. A lifetime of regular contact is something you do at the time because you like them... Chasing contact this late in life is not going to change anything.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Which one is Accy’s dad and which his uncle?

LastoftheSummerWine_S6_Cas2_600-600x338.jpg

Top Bottom