Getting into touring..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samid

Guru
ivanmathew said:
Thanks for the tip about the Surly, what are some of the better touring bike brands in the EU?
Check out Dawes for example:

http://www.factorydirectbikes.com/bikes/dawes_touring_bikes/

ivanmathew said:
I was thinking that, I'm assuming granny gears will save me a lot of standing during my climbs? That being said, does anyone else find themselves standing with climbs when they've got a couple panniers at the back?

I find it difficult to stand when riding a loaded bike, mostly because it feels too flexy. But, my bike is not really a dedicated heavy tourer, could be that on a sturdier bike this is not such a problem. But, if that climb is at the end of a long day, you may prefer to keep sitting and spinning that granny even if the bike did not flex when standing.

ivanmathew said:
Nice bike! Looks like you give her a lotta love. But, I hope you don't whizz around cottage country Ontario in a yellow jersey on her. :eek:

No, I don't have any yellow jerseys - only my bike is yellow ;)

ivanmathew said:
Do you know of any compatibility issues of attaching racks to road bikes?

It's not only about attaching racks, but also about hanging panniers on those racks :eek: E.g. on my bike the chainstays are rather short, and a seemingly very good rack (Nitto) did not work with the Carradice panniers I had - I could not move the rack back far enough not to hit the panniers with the heels. I replaced the rack with a Tubus Cargo (highly recommended BTW) - and the problem disappeared.

ivanmathew said:
How wide are the tires you're using for trips? Any one else have any tips on tires as I'm going paved the entire way but it's a lot of climbs/descents.

I also toured on paved roads only so far, and 28mm tires worked fine for me.

Hope some if it helps :ohmy:

samid

Guru
andym said:
Hmm. Most people touring with flat bars use barends, and as I suspect most touring cyclists spend most of the time on the top of the bars or on the hoods I don't think there is really that much of a difference. You could argue that a more upright position means that you have less weight on the wrists and less need to change position (and yes I know you should support your weight from the core muscles but I suspect most people don't). And before anyone says it a more upright position has its downsides as well.

With drop bars, assuming the "normal" position is on the hoods, the "on the drops" position is not only different - it gets you lower, which is very helpful if you're riding against a headwind. Then there's the "on the hooks" variant for when you're feeling sporty, and "on the tops" for when you're cruising looking for a pub. I did ride (not toured) on an MTB with barends at some point, and found them a poor substitute for drop bars. To each his/her own though, I'm not preaching, just explaining why I myself prefer drop bars for touring (and I admit that my cycle touring experience is very limited). (Note also that all drop bars are not made equal - some are much more comfortable than others.)

Pottsy

samid said:
With drop bars, assuming the "normal" position is on the hoods, the "on the drops" position is not only different - it gets you lower, which is very helpful if you're riding against a headwind. Then there's the "on the hooks" variant for when you're feeling sporty, and "on the tops" for when you're cruising looking for a pub. I did ride (not toured) on an MTB with barends at some point, and found them a poor substitute for drop bars. To each his/her own though, I'm not preaching, just explaining why I myself prefer drop bars for touring (and I admit that my cycle touring experience is very limited). (Note also that all drop bars are not made equal - some are much more comfortable than others.)

I agree with the above. More choice of positions on drops than flat bars. I've done a fair bit of touring on both, though admittedly come from a drop-bar background, if you see what I mean.

OP
OP
I

ivanmathew

Thanks again everyone, I'm starting to put together in my head a better idea of what it is I want from a bike for trips.

simon_brooke said:
I choose to tour with a trailer rather than panniers...

Does the trailer get your momentum flying downhill?

samid said:
I replaced the rack with a Tubus Cargo (highly recommended BTW) - and the problem disappeared.

Great, I'll look into one of those.

snorri said:
Even within the 'touring' section of cycling there are many variations in interest, and the advice you can gain from others is limited, practical experience is a better guide ... What I think I am trying to say is, just get out and do it with the equipment you have to hand. You will discover which branch of touring appeals to you and gradually learn which bike and kit best fits your needs. My first tour taught me that a "fast" bike flexes worryingly when carrying sufficient luggage for a two week tour!

I've been cycling about 60-100km a day (my commute to work is 25km one way) and find I like to pack light and keep higher speeds, but I haven't gone overnight anywhere and didn't want to do a 250km there and then 250km back through mountains on something that would break down on me. I'm pretty excited though that it's coming up, I do agree with you though that it's just going out and doing.

Also, Dayvo thanks for the tip, the bookshop had The Essential Touring Cyclist and I picked it up. It's a pretty straight forward book that's not so long winded like a couple others that were on the shelf, I like the advice it provides as it's all rather logical and practical.

Does anyone here do any randonneur events?

Top Bottom