Getting lighter...more dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mootaineer

I'm not one that's normally too adversely affected by traffic...maybe I just had a bad day.

This morning I was passed very close (maybe within 5 inches of my bars) by 2 separate trucks. The second one was so close :biggrin: that I've even forgotten where the first incident happened.
The second one was underneath Tottenham Court Road as you ride Eastwards along Euston Road.
Next time I'll be riding further out on the road - maybe I was too close to the kerb (although I don't think so). I was a bit pissed off at the pass so was going to go speak my mind but didn't get the chance.

Then on the way home I'm waiting at red lights (in the correct, right-hand lane to carry on straight) along Regent Street, pointed towards Piccadilly Circus, just before Jermyn Street. The lights change, I move off (as does the bus in the left hand lane). Bus doesn't even indicate and bullies past me to get into my lane (and I wasn't slow off the mark either).

I've had no incidents worth remembering over the winter.
Now that the clocks have changed I've noticed drivers seemingly more careless. Is it just me or did I have a bad day?
My only reasoning (especially for close passes) is that drivers are more confident that they can see you...and so take greater risks... :sad:

I used to RLJ but now (since about the middle of last year) I don't. Not RLJing obviously keeps me on the right side of the law but it doesn't seem to affect the way cars and other vehicles treat me...

The second incident from this morning has kept me in a bad mood all day. ;)
Hopefully I'll forget about it an all will be peace and harmony by tomorrow...:thumbsup:. Tomorrow is my "off" day so I'll gladly endure the tube to work :biggrin:.

cannondale boy

Über Member
I think the bigger vehicles got the better of you, but had no right of doing what they did.

I do hate drivers that do not indicate, ;) its pure laziness! Hope you have a better day when you get back on the bike...maybe it was a bad day?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'd put it down to a bad day - weather etc seems to make very little difference on my commute - some days it's as though everyone has decided to be an impatient idiot.

gavintc

Guru
Personally, I am finding it more dangerous now it is daylight than when I commuted at night. I seem to get more close shaves and cars seem to cut aross my front more frequently now.

Tynan

Veteran
with regard to your rlj point, it's the people that are rljing that affects drivers' perceptions I suggest

short of everyone knowing you and knowing you don't rlj and so treating you differently

domtyler

Über Member
I am firmly in the anticipate the green camp. I tend to treat red lights as one step up from a give way junction, but once it is clear for me to go I go, that means I can get into my lane and prevent knob ends from trying to overtake me through junctions.

xroads

Its the school easter holidays. Less traffic on the road, drivers making the most of it. Certainly more dangerous on the roads when there's less traffic.

Top Bottom