Getting lost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Am i the only one? Couple of weeks ago decided to ride round the biggest lake in the Creuse, 26 miles away loaded bike in car but could t find the lake ! Today went off to ride canal du berry, 1 mile in i had to go on road for a bit, took 5 miles of getting lost before i found it again, going to try again hopefully next time i can have longer ride along canal, very pretty but i cant post pics here for some reason xxx

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Its very hard to get lost nowadays with a smart phone to help out.
But i used to enjoy getting lost in London, and then suddenly recognising a landmark and being back on the route.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This summer I had some time off and went out most Wednesday's with the intention of getting to a certain point, but didn't rely on the GPS or route mapping. It was about simply following my nose and if a road looked interesting I took it.

One day I ended up at Flamborough Head, covering over 200 miles.

A couple of others took me through forest trails and paths, on a road bike, simply because the road looked interesting.

No specific set times, just a nice ride in the countryside.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I get told this but don't get lost unless I'm in a strange city and I'm not very good a following a sat nav..

D

Deleted member 26715

I never used to get lost, I sometimes didn't know exactly where I was but would always find my way to where I wanted to go, I instinctively seemed to know which direction I needed to go either walking, cycling or by car, however I don't seem quite as good anymore, either that or I just doubt myself more.

Katherine

Guru
Before I'd learnt the local routes I used to follow my nose /road signs /anywhere that looked interesting , and then I'd turn on Google maps set to voice cues to take me home.
I used it recently to find some of the Bee-in-the-City installations.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm often lost, but know roughly where I am. Confusing directions from the Garmin don't help and it can get frustrating, though largely less so outside of the urban environment.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I enjoy getting lost. I actively encourage others to go off the beaten track and to explore.

I was once told that the definition of a good walk is "getting lost at least twice". So, by definition, a good bike ride involves …

Someone on a sister website expressed dismay that nowadays people seem to need SatNav in order to find their local Tesco. I am of a similar mindset - who needs all this new technology?

Top Bottom