Getting miles in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianjmcd

Über Member
so after 8 years off the bike I returned about 8 weeks ago after a few short 6-10 milers I felt I'd built up my fitness enough to tackle longer rides last week i did 38 miles from paisley to Balloch this week i thought yeah its sunny let's go for a ride along the coast starting off at Wemyss Bay i thought I'd be able to cycle down to Stevenson and then head up the cycle path to paisley how wrong was I made it the 21 miles to Saltcoats then body gave up combination of heat and headwind i jumped on train home i feel so ashamed

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/cLgzkPbHu7

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Never feel ashamed of a bike ride. 21 miles on a bike is 21 miles more than the majority of this countries population have done on a bike.

Baldy

Über Member
I shouldn't worry about it, it's supposed to be fun not a beasting.
Are you only riding on the weekend? Maybe doing more shorter rides more often if you can would help.
If the heat was bothering you try drinking more, not always easy I know.

OP
OP
ianjmcd

ianjmcd

Über Member
I shouldn't worry about it, it's supposed to be fun not a beasting.
Are you only riding on the weekend? Maybe doing more shorter rides more often if you can would help.
If the heat was bothering you try drinking more, not always easy I know.
I do 6-12 miles a day 3 times a week then aim for at least one 30+ mile ride at weekend
I should add im a smoker and 2 stone over weight plus wrong side of 50
And yes I eat porridge and bananas in morning before ride topped up by gels and healthy snacks and banana while riding

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not so many years ago I was doing similar things and feeling pretty proud of myself.

Slick

Guru
so after 8 years off the bike I returned about 8 weeks ago after a few short 6-10 milers I felt I'd built up my fitness enough to tackle longer rides last week i did 38 miles from paisley to Balloch this week i thought yeah its sunny let's go for a ride along the coast starting off at Wemyss Bay i thought I'd be able to cycle down to Stevenson and then head up the cycle path to paisley how wrong was I made it the 21 miles to Saltcoats then body gave up combination of heat and headwind i jumped on train home i feel so ashamed

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/cLgzkPbHu7
Paisley to Balloch is a nice ride apart from the poor link at Dumbarton. I'm a bit further out than you between Neilston and Dunlop and used to do that ride quite often. There are loads of options to extend that ride as the Lomond cycle path whilst not in the best condition will take you to Tarbet or turn off for Glen Fruin if the flatlands get a bit mundane and you'll still never be that far away from a station to get you home if it gets too much. Also, I haven't done it this year because of the restrictions but cycling to Largs for a fish supper is a good day out with the train back to Howwood for me before cycling the last few miles home. Whatever you do, enjoy it. :okay:

OP
OP
ianjmcd

ianjmcd

Über Member
I agree the bit at Dumbarton is a bit of a nightmare the cycle path is patchy at best between clydebank and bowling

boydj

Legendary Member
The path beside the canal is fine between Clydebank and Bowling. When I do that run I go on the road past Jamestown to Balloch and come back to Dumbarton on the path following the Leven, which is quite good apart from one short stretch.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
My days, 6 - 10 miles then up to 38 is a mighty jump!
You've done 21, which is twice your previous distance, so well done. I've been off the bike for a bit and I've played myself back in by doing a few 15 to 18 mile trips before doing today's 30 mile ride. As DC L says, fuel up and have a little sustenance on the ride, a banana will do nicely. Take a drink from your bidon every 15 to 20 kilometres too. I set a distance alert on my Garmin Edge 200 to remind me to do this, otherwise I'd be riding dry!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's a good start. The mileage jumps you're doing is quite a bit if you're not used to it. Remember to eat if you're adding distance.
indeed , little and often.I made the same mistake on sunday as i was trying to do a low carb ride as i am trying to drop a few pounds of lockdown blubber and got 1 mies from home and my body said "nah mate " but i had to soft pedal it home and it was a country lane ride and no one to rescue me .

Top Bottom