Getting rid of stubborn weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
This is such an unhealthy saying. If you're exercising more you invariably need to eat more, food is fuel.

Eat less; move more is unhealthy? Will I go into Starvation Mode? That sounds bad.

Not sure you have read all of this thread but the title is "Getting Rid of Stubborn Weight"

Don't see how you can do that without eating less and/or moving more.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
This is such an unhealthy saying. If you're exercising more you invariably need to eat more, food is fuel.
Your statement is correct if you wish to maintain your current weight.
It is not correct if the aim is to lose weight.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Tah Spinney

At this point before anyone gets into a generic argument on losing weight, I should refer you back to my op and the whole thrust of this thread, which was not just about weight loss.

Licramite

Über Member
I know this is a long shot, but have you considered testoterone replacement therapy - its a bit like HRT for women , as your 50 ish terstoterone levels drop off and by replacement it says it will prevent the body storing fat as it does in old age.
I know it has an increased chance of prostrate cancer , beyond that I don't know of any other side effects.(bad ones anyway)

I'm not recommending it, I just thougt you might want to look into it. - I think your doing fine grit and determination and acceptance thats theres no quick fix , blood sweat and gears.-

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I know this is a long shot, but have you considered testoterone replacement therapy - its a bit like HRT for women , as your 50 ish terstoterone levels drop off and by replacement it says it will prevent the body storing fat as it does in old age.
I know it has an increased chance of prostrate cancer , beyond that I don't know of any other side effects.(bad ones anyway)

I'm not recommending it, I just thougt you might want to look into it. - I think your doing fine grit and determination and acceptance thats theres no quick fix , blood sweat and gears.-

The whole male menopause is pretty controversial from what I've read.. I think I'd have to be having some fairly major problems and symptoms before I went down that route because like you say, it has implications.

sazzaa

Your statement is correct if you wish to maintain your current weight.
It is not correct if the aim is to lose weight.

Nonsense. If I exercise more and eat less I'm lacking in energy in no time and still don't lose weight. When I exercise daily and eat more fruit, veg and lean meats than I usually would the weight starts dropping. Move more, eat more of the correct foods, and don't mess with your metabolism.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Nonsense. If I exercise more and eat less I'm lacking in energy in no time and still don't lose weight. When I exercise daily and eat more fruit, veg and lean meats than I usually would the weight starts dropping. Move more, eat more of the correct foods, and don't mess with your metabolism.
OK, have it your way. All those other people who have lost weight by exercising more and eating less must have different metabolisms to yours.
:tired:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Ok, final update I think.

Body fat percentage has apparently stayed the same but that may be because of my minimalist measuring technique. Weight has dropped another kg to 71.5 but I've done little in the last few weeks and my will to continue has now ended. Therefore I'll see if I can maintain this.

I can feel the difference. Running is definitely easier and I've been running pb's on most of my routes, especially the ones with hills in.

I may try again in the New Year, I may need to after xmas! I am though reasonably happy with this and I'm using notches on my belt which have not been used for over 10 years (yes I have had my belt that long). being 3.5kg over the weight when I was at my fittest and 20 years on is not bad.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I had a pleasant surprise recently. About a month ago, I stepped up my preparations for the Audax Alpine Classic (250km option). The method was simple enough:
  • Push myself a bit harder on my 2 daily commutes, i.e. a bit more out of the comfort zone.
  • I used to have 2 morning coffees at work, the first with a takeaway yoghurt/muesli combo, and the second with a muffin. I've ditched the muffin.
  • My lunches weren't always the most healthy, sometimes consisting of takeaway hot meals served by nearby cafes. I switched that for a simple pie + meat/salad or vegetarian roll.
My weight then dropped from 86 to 83kg, and stayed down! :biggrin: Believe me when I say it will make a difference during the above-mentioned ride.

poynedexter

i have also changed my eating habits recently. im now cutting right down on sugar/ carbs/ starch/ grains, while upping my intake of fats and proteins. im eating loads of veg/ salads/ dairy/ nuts and less fruit.

eggs, full fat dairy, butter, fish, bacon, cheese etc are frowned upon (not fish lol) by the medical profession for the last 40 years because of heart disease (why?) but i'm feeling great and loosing weight on them. i'm nowhere near as hungry as i used to be so may be eating less calories as a result, and my food tastes great.

i've come to believe that the lack of sugar is the key.

ps my cycling is improving too.

Top Bottom