Getting rid of stubborn weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simmer

Fasting in 5:2 is not really fasting ... especially if you are exercising. Monday and Thursdays I calorie count to 700. (more than the 500 everyone says because of cycling/excercise). So that's a big bowl of porridge, cup a soup at lunch time with tea being a large jacket spud with cottage cheese and a massive portion of salad and dressing

the rest of week i drink wine at the weekends, maybe a beer or 2.. and try to keep within 2200 calories each day.. which to be honest if eating healthy is difficult. Most weeks I don't bother counting unless we are having something ready made out the freezer (very very rare)

Result so far.. 5:2 started end of April. 31 lbs lost... don't feel like I am dieting. Problem comes when I stop cycling when the snow/ice arrives. Will need to adjust meals accordingly.

Is it a fad diet ? well I have not stuck to any other "established diet" longer than 4 weeks and my eating habits have changed for the better.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I would recommend Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald to you. Good solid science based nutritional overview, with lost of useful tips and strategies. Great for getting rid of those last few excess pounds.

Is it accessible Vamp. My problem is after a certain point I glaze over. I'll certainly look it up though.

Eat less of those Lamb shanks you wharthog ! :biggrin:

Well don't drag me up un-cyclable Welsh mtns you lying bugger, not too bad you said, I have witnesses.

Herbie

Veteran
I think the effort changes make sense, moving my body outside the groove it's used to, which has been necessary to be consistent.

We may be different builds. I was 62kg at 20 (slight build), 68 at 30 and 75 now, so I'm carrying a lot for me. 68 would be good again.

Good points well put.....good luck with your losing the timber

OP
OP
C

Crackle

How about trying for a deficit of 3500 a week rather than 5000. That way you should shift a steady 1 - 1.5lbs a week, especially if you are cycling.

All that worked up until this certain point and then it stopped working. I made a few attempts, as logically it made no sense but no success, hence me asking on here for ideas.

PK99

Legendary Member
Fasting in 5:2 is not really fasting ... especially if you are exercising. Monday and Thursdays I calorie count to 700. (more than the 500 everyone says because of cycling/excercise). So that's a big bowl of porridge, cup a soup at lunch time with tea being a large jacket spud with cottage cheese and a massive portion of salad and dressing

The actual recommendation is "25% of normal intake"
500/600 is a basic rule of thumb that is easy for most folks to work to, but for a very active person 25% is a better guide.
My base metabolic rate (sitting in a chair all day simply existing) is 1900 Calories
Lifestyle takes that up to around 2800.
So I target 600 knowing that if I get it a little wrong I'm still within the range.

People (including the op) seem to get hung up about the term "fasting", Don't think of it that way. The OP spoke of working to a calorie deficit over the week. That is all the 5:2 diet does - gives a calorie deficit over the week but concentrated in 2 days. With the important caveat, that anyone who is serious about losing weight transfers some of the principles to other days too and does not over indulge.

Don't call it the Fasting Diet, call it the 2-day Calorie deficit diet!
But somehow that does not have the same attention grabbing effect of "Fasting"

ALL weight loss diets work in the same way: Imposing or inducing a Calorie Deficit.
Eat nothing but protein and you feel fuller for longer and get bored by eating so eat less = calorie deficit
Cut out fats from your diet = calorie deficit
Exercise more, eat the same = calorie deficit.
Eat pre planned meal replacements = calorie deficit
Eat cabbage 5 times a day = calorie deficit
Count and restrict calories for every meal = calorie deficit.

It's not rocket science.

FWIW, my "Diet" has been "good" for may years. Red meat rarely. Fish at least one a week often twice. White meat regularly. Remove the chicken skin. Piles of fruit and veg every day. Veggie meals 1/2 days a week. Very rarely had a pudding. All quality ingredients from a mix of Waitrose, independent butchers and farmers markets. I'm a foodie and wanna be Master Chef so recipes and cooking were fantastic.
Problem was, I ate too much good food.

I now still eat the same good food 7 days a week, but some weeks on 2 days a week I eat less of it.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Very readable.
I ordered a copy after reading a bit on Amazon. Seemed to make sense. Almost certainly more info than I need but I'll just take what I need out of it, I'm fresh out of my own knowledge and ideas.

Simmer

Mine works out very similar. I use the tracker on a 5:2 website which adjusts your tdee as your weight drops. mine currently comes back as

Based on your current age (43), height and weight your Resting Metabolic Rate* is estimated to be 1852.8. For your selected level of activity (Moderate Activity) you should be eating around 2872 calories on your feed days and up to 718 calories on your fast days in order to lose weight.

Not really fasting in any sense but it seems to work.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

People (including the op) seem to get hung up about the term "fasting", Don't think of it that way. The OP spoke of working to a calorie deficit over the week.

I appreciate what you are saying and that you've found something that works but I was very careful about how I wrote the OP because, I'm not looking to diet as such, I'm looking to make permanent changes, which you mention. Such changes are the only thing that ultimately works. I think diets work for losing weight and with some luck you learn how to eat better. Some diets don't teach you anything but bad habits, I think fasting verges on this (or could do, maybe not for you but...) and there's already a thread on it so I specifically didn't want to cover it here as I looked at it and decided it's not what I want or need.

Instead I think my activity levels, age and eating habits are the things that I think I need to look at. In particular I need to know how to compensate for the fact my metabolism has changed over the decades. What once worked, doesn't now, in exactly the same way as I realised a few years ago, I can't just pick up exercise after a lay off, I need to be consistent now not indulge in the boom and bust of youth which was my habit through life. I don't expect these changes to be quick, it's taken me two or three years to create new habits already which got me to a stable weight and base fitness.

simon.r

Person
As per the title, I am at the top end of my BMI and moderately active and I generally sit at about 75kg. In the past I've put on weight and lost most of it now and kept it that way for a number of years. So all in all, reason to be happy and basically I am.

I'm now in a similar position - top end of BMI, age 50, would like to lose 3 or 4kg and keep it off.

Last year I was unemployed for about 6 months and during that period I got down to my preferred weight. Looking back (and this is purely my own opinion with no scientific facts to back it up) I believe the following reasons were why I lost weight and kept it off for a reasonable period:

• I was cycling often. My mileage was about the same as it is now, but I was riding short/medium distances most days rather than doing longer rides on just a couple of days.
  • I was eating regular, healthy meals. I had time to prepare food and to eat it. The temptation now I'm back working is to skip meals or to buy a (relatively) unhealthy sandwich or similar.
  • I was drinking less beer. For financial reasons my beer intake was probably 1/3 to 1/2 of what it is now.
So, nothing dramatic, but a generally healthier lifestyle for a period of several months.

Top Bottom