getting smiled at too much whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

I was suffering smiles whilst cycling recently from both sexes, and I was a bit worried about the blokes, but they've stopped that now. I think it was a means of keeping their face warm during the winter.

And now it's just females from age 4 - infinity. Serious, when I go past a local graveyard I see the tombstones wobbling.

Does noone else really not get cute natural smiles from about 70% of girls whilst cycling, but never when stationary?

Plax

Guru
No, but then I am of the feminine persuation and I find the blokes are all too busy checking out my legs instead :biggrin:

Seriously though, I have noticed now that I've got the t-shirt and shorts out that there has been an increase in the number of cars that tend to stay behind me, rather than try and squeeze me when there are oncoming vehicles and then check their rear view mirror as they pull back in.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

yenrod said:
If a man was a woman for one day - the world would be another place entirely !

C'mon yenners, you must know what I'm talking about?

Do you not get smiled at wrong whilst on the bike? And then get off and and it's all gone?

mootaineer

Abitrary said:
Does noone else really not get cute natural smiles from about 70% of girls whilst cycling, but never when stationary?

Hmmm...I have to say I never get that.
Then again there are loads of cyclists about at this time of year in London. The hours that I commute are also probably inhibitive to smiling! :biggrin:

Occasionally when I go out riding in the country I get some smart comment about Lycra. :biggrin:
Last year when I was in France and struggling up a fairly flat hill (albeit with knee problems at the time) I was all set to get some jeers when I passed by about 3 families having a joint BBQ.
To my surprise they all stood up, started cheering and shouted "Allez...!" :biggrin:

Oh...and Plax...where do you ride again? :biggrin:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

mootaineer said:
Hmmm...I have to say I never get that.
Oh...and Plax...where do you ride again? :biggrin:

You must get the odd female smile?

I get about 30 a day from schoolkids to grannies, yet when in pedestrian mode I get about only 4.

I don't look particulary cool or sexy when on my bike, but I can look a bit awkward. Maybe it's the combination of all of above.

mootaineer

Abitrary said:
You must get the odd female smile?

I get about 30 a day from schoolkids to grannies, yet when in pedestrian mode I get about only 4.

I don't look particulary cool or sexy when on my bike, but I can look a bit awkward. Maybe it's the combination of all of above.

Hi Arbitrary,

I think part of my point was that during the hours I "normally ride" (commute) the grannies and kids are still mostly in bed. Anyone who might normally smile has a grimace at that time of morning!

Also, generally I suppose I'm on the lookout for traffic and haven't really had a chance to see people's expressions. Maybe I should have a look. Maybe I should! :biggrin:

janm399

Veteran
I usually get lots of smiles and waves from my neighbours, then the newspaper man. The butcher seems to like my Assos Mumu jersey -- a bit scary, I must admit.

The best one was last year, when a driver in front of me started flashing lights and moving to the side. I thought the worst and pulled over. She gave me a piece of paper with her number on! I felt really smug after that :biggrin:

Jan

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Plax said:
No, but then I am of the feminine persuation and I find the blokes are all too busy checking out my legs instead :biggrin:

Seriously though, I have noticed now that I've got the t-shirt and shorts out that there has been an increase in the number of cars that tend to stay behind me, rather than try and squeeze me when there are oncoming vehicles and then check their rear view mirror as they pull back in.

I agree ... I'm sure more motorists are willing to let you in/not pass etc... doesn't work on the female car drivers though. (I don't think i've noticed anyone checking in their view view mirror though)

Plus I think I grin more in summer ... on the bike ... in the sun when they are stuck in a car who wouldn't smile.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
mootaineer said:
Last year when I was in France and struggling up a fairly flat hill (albeit with knee problems at the time) I was all set to get some jeers when I passed by about 3 families having a joint BBQ.
To my surprise they all stood up, started cheering and shouted "Allez...!" ;)

such a civilised country in that respect - I love cycling in France.

Monkey Boy

I was verbally abused by a bunch of teenage girls as they passed in their car last week....."Phhhwwwwarrrrr...check the ar$e on that" was the comment. It was ace! I was not sure if they were saying I was an ar$e on a bike....or my byootocks were outstanding. I hope it was the latter!!

I have also caught ladies in cars being extra cautious behind me and checking out my butt, nae, perving as they pass by.....oh, to be alive.

The best one was being chatted up by a 5 year old when I popped into a shop, in full lycra, to get some cakes. She was telling me all bout her pink bike that had stabilisers...it was sooooo cute.

gbb

Legendary Member
Cant say ive noticed anything different, but i do remember one sunny Sunday going through a quiet village. There was a 30ish female out by her car...she looked up and saw me coming....and her eye's were rivetted to my crotch :smile::blush::biggrin::biggrin::evil:;)

Perhaps she was fustrated..perhaps i looked cool and sexy....perhaps my kn0b was dangling out my shorts :sad::biggrin::biggrin:

Jockey

Have any of you seen the fluffy (dog) ears that motorbikers wear on their crash helmets? Well i invested in a couple of those for a laugh a while back (nice Dalmation coloured one, zip tied on to my helmet) and I get loads of points and smiles... The sunny weather definitly helps with the entire look - especially when my tongue hangs out panting up a big hill!!

Mind you I can't wait until some granny writes into the local paper and swears she saw a dalmation dog flying through roads of Reading and Bracknell...!!

My advice, if you're looking for some smiles - give people something to smile about...;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't say I've noticed the smiles - did get a smile off a lady walking her dog at the cross races the other day whilst I was walking round the course with my road bike, but turns out she was "with" one of the riders anyway... so a convert.

Unfortunately, getting a smile would mean dropping out of Warp, Mr Sulu !

Top Bottom