getting stamina back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to cycle everywhere and could easily maintain a decent speed on road and cope relatively well off road

Due to work being too far to cycle and other demands on my time I've not cycled properly for quite some time,
Been out on the mountain bike today and my legs ache after a short ride with a few steep climbs along with feeling worn out most of the way round.

What's the best way of getting my stamina back?

What's the best way of getting my stamina back?
Softly, softly, catchy monkey.

Patience is key IMO, however, as you've had a decent base fitness before then you should improve quickly and be back on form soon enough.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Softly, softly, catchy monkey.

Patience is key IMO, however, as you've had a decent base fitness before then you should improve quickly and be back on form soon enough.
I agree.

I am lucky in that I have the type of body that responds well to exercise. Illness in 2012/13 reduced me to a very poor level of fitness but I have got back more than I lost in only about 1,200 miles of riding. Other people might have to do less than that, but some would have to do a lot more. It's an individual thing.

Listen to your body. If it tells you that it can do more, do more. If you need to rest, rest.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just get out there for any reason...and dont push too hard too soon.
Motivation is the hardest thing to get, im struggling to face longer rides again, but today for instance, a quick ride across town on the hybrid for some DIY stuff turned into a couple hour pleasure ride. No pressure, just get some miles in. It'll come with more miles..I assume, and hope?

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I think part of the issue is, any route from my house is a fairly steep hill sooner or later which wears me out quite quickly.

Big Nick

I started cycling again last January doing just 5 mile rides, even the slight inclines made my legs burn!!

I'm now doing 30-40 mile rides and am planning my first half century ride when I can get an afternoon free from work. I'm just going to take my time on it and I think that's the key when you start out as its easy to fall into trying to maintain the highest average speed possible and you end up hurting and not wanting to go again!

I went for a 20 mile ride with my missus yesterday and even though we only averaged 12mph I enjoyed the ride so much more as I was well within my comfort zone but still got some good exercise out of it by holding higher gears than normal

Just get out on you bike and enjoy riding and the stamina increase will look after itself

OP
OP
Black Sheep
Time is an issue, if I could pop out for a quick ride each night that'd help but it's not an option.
Going to find my bike lights and start trying to ride to anything local instead of driving or walking.

Thinking of getting a turbo trainer, (will start another thread to ask for recommendations) the wife has implied she'd be interested in using it too so not a bad investment perhaps.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
wow, been a while...

The turbo trainer gets little use on the excuse that I can't get at the road bike to use it easily (bikes are stacked in the back of the house, but can get the mountain bike out easily enough)

been out for a ride around Grizedale and down into Coniston and back complete with toddler on child seat and a run along the Monsal trail with friends (again with child on back)

As my in-laws are staying with us for the next few weeks I managed to get out last night to find a 2 mile loop with a overall climb distance of 312ft according to google maps. Felt a bit worn out at times, but at other times felt like I could go further but thought it best not to :biggrin:
A fair bit of it is over cobbles though to avoid crawling along a 40mph road

Hopefully get out again this week to do it again

si_c

Guru
wow, been a while...

The turbo trainer gets little use on the excuse that I can't get at the road bike to use it easily (bikes are stacked in the back of the house, but can get the mountain bike out easily enough)

been out for a ride around Grizedale and down into Coniston and back complete with toddler on child seat and a run along the Monsal trail with friends (again with child on back)

As my in-laws are staying with us for the next few weeks I managed to get out last night to find a 2 mile loop with a overall climb distance of 312ft according to google maps. Felt a bit worn out at times, but at other times felt like I could go further but thought it best not to :biggrin:
A fair bit of it is over cobbles though to avoid crawling along a 40mph road

Hopefully get out again this week to do it again

Have you looked at Zwift / TrainerRoad etc? I find them good for motivation on the trainer.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I've not looked at any technical options, I don't have the tech to run it (compatible smart phone / tablet) the idea behind the trainer was simply that I could cycle while the Ewe was out and the lamb was in bed. The main issue is that there's four bikes leant one against the other with a fair bit of clutter blocking it making it hard to get to the bikes, hopefully this is resolved this summer as my attentions turn to that part of the house in the on-going renovation work.

Think what's going to work best for me is fitting a odometer to the bike and getting out on it to show myself that it's not as hard work as I expect it to be and start to enjoy it / actually get out of town (town is about 3 miles across from 'welcome to' sign to 'you're now leaving' sign)

OP
OP
Black Sheep
well, nearly a year on,

Doing slightly better, been doing a lot more walking as a family (Black Lamb enjoys the woods and is quite proud of her hiking boots) which has helped with general fitness a bit.

Black Ewe got a new mountain bike about a year ago, we've only been out on it once or twice though. I did get out on her bike not long ago as my fork seals have perished after less than a year of little use so new forks on order (no seals available for 2004 Marzocchi bombers)

In the meantime I got out for a 6 mile round trip on the road bike over some of the most inappropriate terrain (the path started out good) resulting in a puncture and walking the last 1/4 mile so need to get a puncture repair kit as I've not had a puncture for about a decade so no idea where it is!

legs ache a bit on the road bike from pushing a higher gear and was making extensive use of gear 1&2 instead of the 4&5 I used to use as default, but any time on two wheels is good.

Top Bottom