getting stamina back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Pushing a higher gear won't help unfortunately, you want to be spinning :okay:
Any chance, get out there.
I think I managed around 60 miles last week, the most I've done I one week for maybe 5 years...Christ I used to do that in one ride, but I suspect hard work is the only way if you want to emulate past fitness, otherwise regular smiley short rides are a good way of getting enjoyment if not the fitness you had.

I'm getting some speed back, 15.4 mph average tonight ...very satisfying considering my mileage over the last few years.

Ride and smile, get in there while the weather is good.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Slowly getting back into it following illness caused by GP misdiagnosis of a more serious illness!

Dropped from 2500 miles pa to very little (<300).

All the hills have gotten steeper since I last rode up them I'm sure. Carrying about a stone too much lard. And I have dropped 1.5 mph av' speed.

And yes, I am a tad despondent. However, I'm slowly building up distance just like I did when I first started and concentrating on just getting out regularly as opposed to obsessing over speed etc.

Little by little is the only way for me.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
Black Sheep
One of the key issues is simply time.

We live in an area of amazing beauty...

...and giant hills - The Lancashire Road Club hill climb takes place up the hill we live on (but not our road, our road joins the climb just below the steepest part (22% or 1 in 4.8).
I did finally make it up this hill on the wife's new mtb with fork lock out and 2x10 gearing, next challenge is to make it up on my mtb with it's 3x8 gearing, then one day perhaps the road bike with it's 1x4.5 gearing!

That's the killer, anywhere you go you have to go up a hill sooner rather than later with one exception, north has the option of the old railway line and incidentally a friend lives at the other end of a newly re-opened section (that I took the road bike up and slightly regretted it) so I can see myself spending a bit more time visiting in the future.

Top Bottom