Getting the right geometry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveha

Regular
I'm looking for a new replacement bike (see also https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/h...y-country-lanes-and-sensible-off-road.267324/) and frame shapes seem to have changed over the years!

On my 1970s 24" Mercian, my legs feel a little cramped such that I want to raise the saddle but when I stop, I can only just get the tips of my toes down onto the ground. In fact I've fallen off a couple of times when stationary. Over the years, I may have lost a little bit of height? So, should I get longer cranks? lower bottom bracket?

Also, my balance is not quite what it used to be. The steering seems far too light at slow speeds and standing on the pedals to get up hills just about impossible. There's quite a bit of rake on my front forks and I'm wondering if this is "wheel flop" which is likely to go away if I buy a modern bike with "near vertical" forks? I'm happy with the stability of the old bike at speed :-)

b4-93771252_10157283108567336_4201705190723682304_o.jpg

Thanks!

Sharky

Guru
The rake on your forks looks like a fairly sporty steep rake and should give lively handling. Don't think any bikes have a vertical rake. They may have straight forks, but with a normal rake. Need to go the opposite way (greater rake) for a less responsive handling?

Regarding saddle height, I've never been able to touch the ground and stay seated.

Top Bottom