Getting those tyres on.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peetee

Hi folks I'm a newbie here so treat me well.:smile:
Not that I'm new to the bike game. Been building my own bikes up for 20 years and can say I've never come across a problem like this before.
I've fitted tight tyres before but I'm really REALLY struggling to get 25c Vittoria Ziffiro onto/off my 36 spoke MA3's (yes the wheel is properly tensioned). I got one on eventually but pinched the tube - now it just won't come off! I took them back to the shop and the owner (who runs a race team) couldn't even get the levers in under the bead! I'm just writing levers off by trying - the tips end up bending the wrong way I'm trying so hard.
It's not a batch thing because I had the same problem this time last year when I changed tyres (Zaffiro's again but slightly different tread design).
Help - I'm having to ride to work on my spare machine with no mudguards!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Hmm, I've never had such problems with my MA3s, but I've not been using Vittorias. If you can bear to, you could cut the tyre bead with some cable cutters to get the tyre off, then try a different brand of tyre? I had no problems fitting Conti GP 4 Seasons...

peanut

what rim tape are you using ? if you have the one piece grey plastic type then it will be preventing the tyre bead from sitting low in the centre of the rim whilst fiting and removing the tyre.
Cut the rim tape and remove it .
Position both beads of the tyre into the centre of the rim
Try find a metal tyre lever if the plastic version is too thick
You'll find it easier to remove the tyre then. I'd recommend using the cotton rim tape

peanut

Headgardener said:
Hi all. A lot of good ideas but if you read the OP Peetee says that he can't get the tyre off in the first place

that is why I suggested that he cut out the rim tape first !

quote:`You'll find it easier to remove the tyre then'

which will give more room for the tyre on the rim and allow him to use a tyre lever to remove the tyre.
Apologies if my explanation was not crystal clear:biggrin:

Top Bottom