Ghost Letters on Frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
It depended on the size of the frame builder, generally the bigger the builder the more chance of frames being painted in house.

Going way way back, even small builders had a spray booth and did bonderized finishes etc but that sort of stopped by the 70's

Before committing to a run of frames all the same, a few would have been made to check the design, brake drop, mudguard eyes, braze ons and all the.

These could have been made in house or contracted out to somewhere like Woodrup or Mercian. Maybe yours is one of those?

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
It depended on the size of the frame builder, generally the bigger the builder the more chance of frames being painted in house.

Going way way back, even small builders had a spray booth and did bonderized finishes etc but that sort of stopped by the 70's

Before committing to a run of frames all the same, a few would have been made to check the design, brake drop, mudguard eyes, braze ons and all the.

These could have been made in house or contracted out to somewhere like Woodrup or Mercian. Maybe yours is one of those?

It is marked Harry Quinn.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Well I have removed a bit more of the sticker but it hasn't helped . Some had already peeled off but hadn't revealed anything . It looks like there might be another letter in front of the 3 which are already there but it doesn't help being a rounded shape like a D or O. So it could be DOOM or DDOM.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have been studying other makers stickers and it seems that the ghost letters are from a different font. What style it is I don't know but the letter "M" is similar to the one used by Mercian, in that the centre of the M doesn't reach the bottom.
From how the glue has remained it would seem that the original sticker was embossed, possibly aluminium foil like the ones used on Falcon head badges.
It is a mystery as to what it was .

Top Bottom