Giant compact road circa 1998/2000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have started a new thread for this for listing modifications and ongoing work
I was gifted this bike and after some digging turns out its a Gaint compact road , early mike burrows design with an interesting stem
mirage 9x 3 shifters
veloce brakes
veloce triple

Attachments

• IMG_20230918_133221_859.jpg
    IMG_20230918_133221_859.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230923_193027_883.jpg
    IMG_20230923_193027_883.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Quill stem replaced with an adapter, found out the bars were bent so binned them.
replacement stem added
Stripped the groupset and wheels and replaced with tiagra 4600 and another giant wheel set
105 shifters ready to be installed

Clipboard01.jpg

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Have you tried it for size yet ?

yes , it fits :smile: measured the important bits when i 1st got it. seat height set for me with 170 mm cranks , set back might need tweaking but its not far off i think ( 4 cm from bb to saddle tip is my norm) ,,i did check again and it needed 5 mm further back

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

IMG-20231027-WA0001.jpeg

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

a bit of time where i felt not knackered , on lates so its hard not to vegetate ;)

Installed the brake cables and set up the pads , why didnt i check that the brake cable kit has 2 different lengths of cable for front and rear as i used the rear for the front assuming they would be the same length , what a muppet ! luckily i had a spare cable .
Rear wheel has a rubbing/ grinding noise from the hub so i will change wheels as they are just something i had spare that happened to have giant branding on .

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

All done :smile:
kept the 8 speed chainset for now till the 10 speed turns up and i think the noise from the wheel is brake rub as the rear needs truing but its rideable so i will try that 1st as although i have better wheels keeping giant branded seems right .
front and rear shifters fully new cable install inners and outers which was a learning moment as the cable entry into the shifter was in a different place to normal and the LH shifter is missing the cover that the hole is supposed to be in so i had to thread it directly into the mechanism .
handlebar tape , just cheap stuff i had knocking about .
Next job will be to source a micro adjust seatpost as mentioned i can never get the single bolt kind spot on level ,
Need to add pedals
1699107721244.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom