Giant contend sl 2?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave147

2DD3E12D-CD98-4132-9DD1-74E4D4632911.jpeg
70A07B8C-43B4-48C3-83EE-6779FF9E1EF8.jpeg
i have seen one in a second hand shop window it looks ok is a hydraulic disc bike think it’s up for £450. I’m a bit in sure a if I need it as the group set wud be lower than on my defy0 and b if it could be stolen. Like the idea of a disc bike tho but I know I would more than likely wana up grade it. Which would cost a bit. Would it be lighter than my 2016 defy 0 or any better

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you can justify buying it because of the brakes in spite of having a very similar bike go for it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Can you see any selling bike shop decals on it ? if so you could pay them a visit and ask if they log sales to a frame number if so that might get you a previous owners name details to check not stolen

Adam4868

Guru
I guess if you like it and want it theres your justification.I just sold a nice full carbon 10 speed ultegra to buy a cube disc with tiagra.Besides being heavier,which i dont notice really.The new tiagra seems just as good as my old ultegra,and the discs yea there nice stop me ok but so do rim.But i like the look of the bike more so im happy !

OP
OP
dave147

dave147

I’m torn because I guess I cud put my crank and front and rear mec on it wud have to c if the rear wheel wud take an 11 speed cassette but wud have to get ultegra leavers and poss callipers but then gets expensive and like I say I have doubts as it’s in a second hand shop and wud want a doggy bike and I can only ride one at a time. Also wud always like to improve so guess di2 wud be my next step if the wife lets me

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Cheers @vickster

I've got a 2018 Contend SL1 Disc - it's a great bike to ride and I'd recommend it to anyone. In fact, in some ways I prefer it to my carbon bike...:whistle:
From the colour scheme this looks like a 2018 SL2 so it would have 10-speed Tiagra?
It's a good groupset. I'd doubt you'd feel shortchanged with it, but the option to upgrade / swap is there.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/contend-sl-2-disc

I'd say try it for size (looks like an M/L) and if you're happy with the provenance then go for it.

OP
OP
dave147

dave147

Thanks for the input guys. I may go and have another look what would you say is a good price for it. Like I say don’t want a doggy bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the input guys. I may go and have another look what would you say is a good price for it. Like I say don’t want a doggy bike.
Ask to see the receipt. The shop (is it like a Cash Converters or something) should surely be able to get one if the seller is genuine.

£450 doesn’t seem unreasonable if it’s a genuine bike (assuming you mean dodgy not doggy ;) )

OP
OP
dave147

dave147

Think it’s a contend sl 2 as it has contend sl on the fork and a 2 on the seat tube it looks like full tiagra. It just a second handshop mobile number so bit unsure

vickster

Legendary Member
Think it’s a contend sl 2 as it has contend sl on the fork and a 2 on the seat tube it looks like full tiagra. It just a second handshop mobile number so bit unsure
Sounds well dodgy. Ask him for proof of provenance

If it’s an SL2, it’s not the 2018. The 2 could just mean it’s the Contend 2, no SL?

Can’t find anything from the last few years that is that black

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/search?keyword=Contend+SL

Last edited:
Top Bottom