Giant Contend Sl1 2020 or Boardman SLR 8.9a or even c model?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iantib99

Hi, Please can I ask your advice as I have no knowledge of road bikes being a MTB'er.
Sadly it looks like all 3 of the above models have just increased in price. So all around the £900 - £999 mark.
The giant contend sl1 disc one looks out of my price range so its the v-brake model I am looking at.
The boardman slr 8.9 comes in allow & carbon, the carbon one looks to use cheaper components than the alloy one.

As the experts, which would you go for? Thanks

p.s. It will only be used on the road, as I know some are ok as gravel bikes, but ill use my hardtail mtb for those types of trails.

DSK

I bought a 2013 Boardman team carbon even though I had the Trek. It rode much better than people think and Boardman seem to be doing well at providing some top end bikes with keeping the prices modest. Their better stuff is not to be sniffed at in my experience.

The Giant Contend is a strong bike and well equipped but, from your options, I'd take the Boardman 8.9a for the styling, 105 components and aero profiles.

That's my 2p worth.

DSK

I bought a 2013 Boardman team carbon even though I had the Trek. It rode much better than people think and Boardman seem to be doing well at providing some top end bikes with keeping the prices modest. Their better stuff is not to be sniffed at in my experience. (I'd say try and look for some reviews on it from the likes of bikeradar, cycling weekly).

The Giant Contend is a strong bike and well equipped but, from your options, I'd take the Boardman 8.9a for the styling, 105 components and aero profiles. (I have a Giant Propel which replaced my boardman, and the aero properties of the Propel do work).

That's my 2p worth.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi, Please can I ask your advice as I have no knowledge of road bikes being a MTB'er.
Sadly it looks like all 3 of the above models have just increased in price. So all around the £900 - £999 mark.
The giant contend sl1 disc one looks out of my price range so its the v-brake model I am looking at.
The boardman slr 8.9 comes in allow & carbon, the carbon one looks to use cheaper components than the alloy one.

As the experts, which would you go for? Thanks

p.s. It will only be used on the road, as I know some are ok as gravel bikes, but ill use my hardtail mtb for those types of trails.
I don't try to find a reduced 2019 model of which ever feels best to ride :okay:
If you decide on the Boardman, you can get 10% off at Halfords/Cycle Republic if you join British Cycling or Cycling UK

105, 2019 Giant here for £850, availability depends on size
https://www.h2gear.co.uk/128522/pro...MIu_DNnJDo5gIVFeDtCh14WgVOEAUYAiABEgIbF_D_BwE
(This is the Giant Store in St Paul's)

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

iantib99

I don't try to find a reduced 2019 model of which ever feels best to ride :okay:
If you decide on the Boardman, you can get 10% off at Halfords/Cycle Republic if you join British Cycling or Cycling UK

https://www.h2gear.co.uk/128522/pro...MIu_DNnJDo5gIVFeDtCh14WgVOEAUYAiABEgIbF_D_BwE

Thanks. Its on the Cycle To Work scheme & my employer uses halfords, so I don't know if they will allow the 10% reduction. I mentioned to them that both bikes were £100 cheaper from other companies but they refused to price match, so I think im stuck to halfords owned companies.
Its annoying as our c2w scheme is shutdown November & December. Thats when the boardman 8.9c was reduced down to £770 at cycle republic which are owned by halfords. So sadly now out c2w scheme is now open the bike is £230 more expensive.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. Its on the Cycle To Work scheme & my employer uses halfords, so I don't know if they will allow the 10% reduction. I mentioned to them that both bikes were £100 cheaper from other companies but they refused to price match, so I think im stuck to halfords owned companies.
Its annoying as our c2w scheme is shutdown November & December. Thats when the boardman 8.9c was reduced down to £770 at cycle republic which are owned by halfords. So sadly now out c2w scheme is now open the bike is £230 more expensive.
No, you can't get BC discount on C2W (you didn't deal that). As it's a commuter, make sure it can take mudguards and a pannier rack potentially.
There are lots of other retailers which take Halfords C2W vouchers so you're not stuck with Halfords at all (Tredz are owned by Halfords too incidentally)

Paul's Cycles do so you could have this for £900 including the extra 15% for C2W (small or medium)
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/3627/products/giant-contend-sl-2-disc-road-bike-2019-blackorange.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: DSK
Top Bottom