Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 Disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

scotthunter

What’s wrong with your current bike? 3k miles it’s barely broken in :smile: you can even only be on your second chain

Nothing much, it was fantastic value, but it's an entry level bike and I struggle to keep up with the rest of the gang on their 8kg carbon bikes. I have also never got on with the Tiagra groupset. The brakes aren't brilliant and the gear changes can be a bit slow. When you ride over Dartmoor with its 25% hills you can't afford to have a bad gear change, otherwise you could end up in the gutter :laugh:

gds58

Über Member
Why are 2018 models getting scarce? I would have thought Giant makes enough bikes?
You would think so! All manufacturers have to make a quantity of bikes based on previous sales, market trends and many other influencing factors. Often they can get it wrong, especially when one of their bikes gets a very favourable review in a top line publication or on Bike Radar for example. Then the buying public will suddenly strip stocks bare like a shoal of Piranha on a bloody carcass! They are a victim of their own success! Worldwide Giant sell in excess of 5500 bikes EVERY SINGLE DAY! I wouldn’t want to be their marketing director!

gds58

Über Member
Currently Giant make exactly 100 different models across every conceivable cycling discipline so I imagine it’s not always possible to get production runs exactly right every time!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The Defy looks great and would be my choice given the spec.

As for the colour scheme well that's just awesome...the world needs more grey / green bikes :okay:

IMG_20180224_100615930_BURST000_COVER.jpg

OP
OP
S

scotthunter

Nice. But is that paint that’s been scratched off on the head tube? :ohmy:

The same thing happened to my Cube. Not sure what causes it? Cable rubbing?

OP
OP
S

scotthunter

I went for the Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 in the end. Got £450 off the list price.

Took it out for a spin last night and did my local hill climb - 400ft over 1.2 miles in 7min dead without trying too hard as I was just getting used to the bike. I've done this climb 8 times previously and got a PB. I last attempted it properly about month ago on my old Cube Peleton and was a minute slower then. I calculated I was 15% faster on the new bike. It just goes to show that lighter bikes (and more importantly lighter wheels) really do make a difference.

The 25mm tubeless tyres on the carbon frame make a massive difference in terms of ride comfort compared to the 23mm tyres on the aluminium frame. This bike just floats along the road like it's on a magic carpet. It's really smooth. Gear changes with the new Ultegra R8000 feel very crisp in a reassuringly mechanical sense.

Haven't thought about what to carry on longer rides as I am completely new to tubeless- what do I do if I get a puncture? I think I'm running at 90-100 PSI at the moment.

Lovely bike.

gds58

Über Member
Wow, great result all round!! I knew you'd be pleased with that one. I would run your tyres at 90 PSI (you can be lower on tubeless than conventional clinchers) and I would carry a spare inner tube and a CO2 inflator so that if you get a big gash in a tyre that the sealant can't fix, you have a get you home solution! If you get a 'normal' puncture you may not even know about it as the sealant will fix it before you realise it's happened with only minimal loss of pressure (couple of PSI)
Carry on enjoying a great choice of bike.
Graham

OP
OP
S

scotthunter

To be honest in my 4 years of riding I don’t think I’ve ever had a puncture that was not a pinch flat, so I won’t bother carrying a spare inner tube and save the weight. As a last resort I would phone a taxi.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Nice. But is that paint that’s been scratched off on the head tube? :ohmy:

The same thing happened to my Cube. Not sure what causes it? Cable rubbing?

No - I had cable rub on my hybrid which didn't annoy me at all :dry:, so this has had some "clear" frame protector stickers put on where the cables can touch the frame to stop it happening on this one.

Stick some helicopter tape under the cables when you get the bike

A good call - I just got a "free" pack of frame protector stickers with the bike so used them. :okay:

DRM

Guru
Nice bike, the colours look fantastic, A wise choice I'd say, I have a Tiagra spec, 2014 Giant Defy Composite, and it's very comfy, not got discs, but I binned the Tektro callipers and fitted 105 ones which are very good, I find I seem to go that little bit quicker on it than the winter bike, it feels like taking your work boots off and putting trainers on when it goes for a spin after winter.

OP
OP
S

scotthunter

Do you know if it's possible to modify the bike so it rides like a TCR? Do you have to take out those stem spacers to lower the front end, if so how many?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Do you know if it's possible to modify the bike so it rides like a TCR? Do you have to take out those stem spacers to lower the front end, if so how many?
You can take out as many spacers as you want , just pop them back on top of the stem instead of cutting the tube down .
It wont ride like a TCR though , for that you need to buy a TCR .

Top Bottom