Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iam4deaf

Hi. I'm roughly 177cm but have a really sort inside leg of 72cm or so. I can get a size small 2nd hand. According to Giant website I'm just at the top end of small going onto medium. Does anyone else here ride a small around same height? Just looking some thoughts

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Not quite but close, am a cpl cm shorter but a cpl cm longer inside leg, ride a M in Giant bikes (have 2) one is a Defy Advanced.

often have to switch out the stock stem for a 100 or possibly a 90 but this would account for your extra body length so it could be a natural fit for you out of the box. Do you have a Giant store anywhere close to you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

iam4deaf

Not quite but close, am a cpl cm shorter but a cpl cm longer inside leg, ride a M in Giant bikes (have 2) one is a Defy Advanced.

often have to switch out the stock stem for a 100 or possibly a 90 but this would account for your extra body length so it could be a natural fit for you out of the box. Do you have a Giant store anywhere close to you?

Unfortunately none of the shops have anything in stock. Being in N. Ireland, it's even more limited with shops. Judging by other comments I've read i don't think a size small isn't going to be a good fit

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Unfortunately none of the shops have anything in stock. Being in N. Ireland, it's even more limited with shops. Judging by other comments I've read i don't think a size small isn't going to be a good fit

sorry - is or isn't?

I would think an S will be too small but you maybe able to put a longer stem on. I would suggest an M would be better, based on my experience but we are all slightly different and things can often be adjusted or tweaked to fit, especially if close to the boundries of two size option, hard to tell without trying it for size really.

si_c

Guru
Possibly a little extreme, but being in NI, there is a Giant store in Liverpool - a bit of a trek to try out a bike, but may be worth it if you really want the bike.

OP
OP
I

iam4deaf

sorry - is or isn't?

I would think an S will be too small but you maybe able to put a longer stem on. I would suggest an M would be better, based on my experience but we are all slightly different and things can often be adjusted or tweaked to fit, especially if close to the boundries of two size option, hard to tell without trying it for size really.
Sorry, meant wouldn't be a good fit. Think medium is gonna be better suited like you said

OP
OP
I

iam4deaf

Possibly a little extreme, but being in NI, there is a Giant store in Liverpool - a bit of a trek to try out a bike, but may be worth it if you really want the bike.
With what's available over here, a boat trip to Liverpool isn't a bad idea 👍

vickster

Legendary Member
With what's available over here, a boat trip to Liverpool isn't a bad idea 👍
There’s not much more available here. If you’re going to do that, call first, have a chat, see what they have or can get in, put a (likely refundable) deposit down

Retread

Regular
You really have to try it, I have a M/L Defy Advanced and I'm 180 cm.
I was too bunched up on the M, I love the bike.
Good Luck.

DRM

Guru
You really have to try it, I have a M/L Defy Advanced and I'm 180 cm.
I was too bunched up on the M, I love the bike.
Good Luck.
Mine (Defy Composite 3) from 2014 is an M/L and I'm 178 cm, the bike is a tad large but not too big, the M would be the correct size, but it works well for me.
However it's availability at the moment that's the main problem.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I wouldn’t risk a small. I am similar short leg upper torso to you and a medium was just right. Even with that tall head tube you would likely to be too low as well as cramped.

DRM

Guru
I wouldn’t risk a small. I am similar short leg upper torso to you and a medium was just right. Even with that tall head tube you would likely to be too low as well as cramped.
The other thing is reports of cracked seat tubes were there is a lot of seat post showing, I’m happy that the seat post on mine has still got a fair bit in the seat tube, which wouldn’t be the case on a frame that’s too small

Top Bottom