Giant FastRoad Advanced 2 vs. CUBE Hyde Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob_ldn

Hi All,

I've been searching for a new bike for a while, had my heart set on a Canyon Commuter one, but my work CTW scheme is not on Canyon's list. So... I have narrowed down the next options to Giant FastRoad or a CUBE Hyde Race. Also looking at Cube Travel Sport.

https://www.giant-camden.co.uk/gb/fastroad-advanced-2-2021

https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/bikes/urban-mobility/commuting/hyde/cube-hyde-race-iridiumnblack/

I saw the Giant in-store today and it looks pretty cool, the weight of it was a surprise, I know its 9kg but once you pick it up you see how light this is! The Cube is 12kg so quite a bit more. Not sure how much of an effect this will have on the ride. I really like the idea of the belt/hub drive rather than chain (not sure why - I guess I just like new things!).

I ride for fun, for about an hour a day at the moment on roads or London canal tow-paths and to see mates around town, but again on roads/paved streets. I like speed too!

Any ideas on which one would be a better choice?

Thank you all!!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Rob and :welcome: to the forum.

The extra weight won’t bother you at all with the sort of riding you’ll be doing.
The cube is really the ultimate low maintenance bike with the belt drive and hub gears and will be fine for your intended use. Another advantage of the Alfie hub gears is you can change gears while stationary, a boon for stop/go city riding. Eight speeds is sufficient for London. The only thing I’d be a little worried about is the aluminium fork, carbon or steel would have been better.

The Giant is really very different with it’s derailleur gears and carbon frame, hence the light weight. With it’s aggressive riding position it’s more of a straight bar road bike and built for speed as opposed to the Cube which is a comfy commuter with it’s bigger tyres. I imagine there quite a difference in price too.

If you like speed you may prefer the Giant, it’s no slouch if you’ve got the legs!
So it’s over to you mister starter.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
The Cube will be easier going as a commuter and the Hub gears are nice and easy to live with. As a city bike, fitted with mudguards and a rack it’ll be perfect, just a touch heavy.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Cube will be easier going as a commuter and the Hub gears are nice and easy to live with. As a city bike, fitted with mudguards and a rack it’ll be perfect, just a touch heavy.
He won’t be commuting though based on my reading of the OP, it’s for recreational riding (but using C2W to fund his hobby).
As such I’d go for a lighter bike (but the Giant is not very attractive to my eyes!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rob_ldn

Thanks all very much for your responses. From the above I'm understanding that the Cube will be a softer, more versatile ride; easier on the bum and more capable of the odd times I may veer off a paved path and onto something rougher. The Giant will be light, fast, agile, better exercise for the legs (?) but not as comfortable for cruising around and taking in the sights and sounds.

I guess if that's the main difference I need to find a place to see the Cube in real life and make a decision if I can live with all the other cyclists zooming past me still around the Regents Park loop on their super fast road bikes! It sets off my competitive side when they do so now, but I put it down to be being on a slower bike! :laugh:

OP
OP
R

rob_ldn

With it’s aggressive riding position it’s more of a straight bar road bike and built for speed as opposed to the Cube which is a comfy commuter with it’s bigger tyres. I imagine there quite a difference in price too.

If you like speed you may prefer the Giant, it’s no slouch if you’ve got the legs!

Hi @Cycleops - Thanks for the helpful info. Please could you expand on these two bits? Is the rising position on the Giant more forward leaning? (the shop would not let me try it!). Does the larger bottom-braket mean you have to push harder?

FYI Cube is £1,199 and Giant is £1,649 not much between them.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The position on the Giant will be more forward leaning but not necessarily more uncomfortable. It's a shame they couldn't at least let you sit on the bike and adjust the saddle height for you. These's no option to bring the bars up a bit with the stem in that set position but you could substitute it for a stem which rises like these:
1615730087309.png

This would give you a more upright stance. If buying from a local bike shop they could help you with this, it's a very simple operation. So you won't be stuck with that position. Some are adjustable.
These articles might give you some explanation/help:
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/road-stems/
https://flatbike.com/five-ways-to-raise-your-handlebars/

Not sure what you mean about the bottom bracket but you wouldn't have to push harder, although the hub drive is less efficient than the derailleur system so you'll lose some energy.

Edit: Okay, now I understand you mean the chainrings. There's a bigger one on the Giant, but you also have a smaller 34t one so you'll have more gears and maybe a slightly lower gear than the Cube but the Cube should give you all the gears you need for London.

Last edited:
Top Bottom