Giant Fathom 29 2 2022 Hardtail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnsd82

Hi all, pardon my ignorance but i really have no idea when it comes to bikes.

I cycle on roads 3 miles each way to work everyday plus do a little riding in my spare time mainly on dirt tracks along side a river with a few steep inclines and some roots.

For the last 5 years I have been riding a 3x9 (27 speed) Carrera Vulcan which needs a lot of work, so am looking at replacing it with my companies cycle to work scheme.

They have a Giant Fathom 29 2 2022 Hardtail at a great price (under £600) but its a 1x10 speed which i have no idea about as have never seen a 1x gear set before.

Can anyone give me advice on if this will be a comparable ride?

Thanks in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like a good spec. More and more bikes are coming with 1x gears. Advantage is there's no front derailleur to adjust and bit cheaper for the maker, disadvantage is there's a bigger gap between gears as you don't have so many. High and low gears would be similar. Not so different to your current mount.
You could also consider a hybrid without a suspension fork which would be lighter, better at climbing and be able to handle dirt tracks as well as being rather more nimble on the tarmac. There are ones with narrower quicker tyres and then with fatter which are MTB lite.
Maybe try out some alternatives if you can and see what suits you.

Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Top Bottom