Giant frc3 - tyre change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jb1979

Hi There,

I have a giant frc3 bike which is like a cross between a hybrid and a road bike with flat bars and it currently has slick tyres on it. Great for flat roads not so great for any bit of rough. I have signed up to a series of adventure races that have a lot of forestry road and rough roads in the course. Is it possible to put different tyres on the Giant frc3. Something like a semi slick with much more grip etc?
There does not seem to be a whole lot of room around the forks at the front and the rear for a bigger tyre, but maybe there is, ijust don't know a whole lot about that kinda thing...any thoughts or suggestions as i don't really want to have to buy a new bike...
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I cant find and info on the bike but you mentioned. But you should be able to get some tryes that offer more grip. However you will be limited by the size of tyre you can use if its a more road based frame. It should be okay though, just look at cyclocross events for re-assurance :biggrin: you wont need a new bike!

Got any links to this bike model?

RedBike

I'm not that familiar with the FCR but any bike with duel pivot road brakes isn't going to take wide or aggressively tread tyres.

You will probably get 28mm wide tyres on, maybe even 30mm at a push (doubtfull).
However, even if you did manage to squeeze a wider tyre in there you'd have virtually no clearance between the tyre and the frame / forks. Unless there is sufficient clearance mud will soon build up and stop the wheel rotating.

I doubt very much that the tread patterns typically used on 25/28mm tyres are really going to offer any noticable grip advantage over a completely slick tyre.

I think your best bet would be to keep an eye out for a second-hand MTB or a hybrid that has cantilever brakes and can take wider 30/35mm tyres.

That looks like more of a road bike than my cypress and has 700x25.
You'll be looking at the larger multisurface tyres at 700x38 and the comment about limited clearance isn't encouraging.

Top Bottom