Giant Ocr /tcr ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As posted I'm working on this circa 1998 giant Ocr.
A few hours fettling and cleaning followed by new bar tape .Rides great !
Just need to source a shorter stem as this one is 3 cm too long

IMG_20230923_193027_883.jpg

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That is a real gorilla reach stem.

davidphilips

Veteran
Nice looking bike really like the matching wheel rims,is the saddle a bit to far forward,maybe set that way due to the over long stem?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice work - agree about the stem and reckon that'd look / ride a lot better with some modern compact bars as opposed to the massive hoops currently fitted. Also weird to see a modern-styled bike with a quill stem..

Finally, you might want to have the seatpost tube out and check what lurks inside - my (later, lower-spec) OCR had an 80-odd mm long "shim" inside - which I'm convinced contributed to the frame cracking and dying after not a huge amount of mileage.. I think this could potentially be mitigated by using a longer shim (if you can find one as sizes are queer) or adding something to the end of the seatpost that bears against the inside of the frame and reacts the bending loads encountered during pedalling..

How's the ride quality? Mine was a proper bone-shaker!

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Nice work - agree about the stem and reckon that'd look / ride a lot better with some modern compact bars as opposed to the massive hoops currently fitted. Also weird to see a modern-styled bike with a quill stem..

Finally, you might want to have the seatpost tube out and check what lurks inside - my (later, lower-spec) OCR had an 80-odd mm long "shim" inside - which I'm convinced contributed to the frame cracking and dying after not a huge amount of mileage.. I think this could potentially be mitigated by using a longer shim (if you can find one as sizes are queer) or adding something to the end of the seatpost that bears against the inside of the frame and reacts the bending loads encountered during pedalling..

How's the ride quality? Mine was a proper bone-shaker!

Only ridden half a mile ish to test it, can't say anything about ride quality as I felt stretched and as it's a triple I'm not used to it or the campag shifter.I do have a set of 10 speed 105 with old tiagra mech which I think work together? And swap to a double flogging the campag stuff.make it a lot easier as I have 3 other bikes running 10 speed Shimano wheels

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Only ridden half a mile ish to test it, can't say anything about ride quality as I felt stretched and as it's a triple I'm not used to it or the campag shifter.I do have a set of 10 speed 105 with old tiagra mech which I think work together? And swap to a double flogging the campag stuff.make it a lot easier as I have 3 other bikes running 10 speed Shimano wheels

That's fair, although seems a shame to flog on the original bits if potentially of collectable interest..

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Decided to strip the campag groupset sell and replace it with either the apex from my other project as it seems bike prices have died or a set of 105 10 speed with tiagra 4600 mechs and im liable to get a similar price for the groupset as a whole bike .
Already changed the quill to a converter but the handle bars are a 42 and i prefer a 40 or even a 38 which would be better .

Top Bottom