Giant Peloton 7000 size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SchumiGr

Regular
Hello fellow cyclists

I am new here and I am about to buy my first road bike. I went on today and had a look at a Giant Peloton 7000 in very good condition. However, the bike "felt" a bit small to me, despite the fact that it was size 59. The previous owner was 1.70 and I am 1.86. I could not find what 59 translates to Giant's current chart (S-M-L etc.) but I am very confused as to what is going on. In fact I was so disappointed that when the seller proposed to raise up the seat, I said no as I thought it would still feel uncomfortable. Now I am having second thoughts as to whether the driving position could indeed be improved by adjusting the seat? Thankfully I made a pic with me on the bike, any help as to whether it is indeed small or could be improved with adjustments would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_3064.JPG
    IMG_3064.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 198

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
the fact that it was size 59.
How do you know this is a 'fact'? (False news!)
Looks way too small in the photo. You are 1.86. The head tube length suggests that frame is about a 53cm square (ie dimension of top tube c-c and of seat tube c-t). Far too small. Would be perfectly reasonable for someone 1.70 tall.
Nothing you could do (eg raise seat) would make that bike fit you. Look for round about a 58cm frame: the key dimension is the top tube (measured at the (virtual) horizontal).

OP
OP
SchumiGr

SchumiGr

Regular
:welcome:

How do you know this is a 'fact'? (False news!)

You're right I forgot to mention that it was written on the frame and the guy measured it as well. That is why I am so confused, how could it be that Giant claims this is a 59 bike and yet feels so small?

Attachments

• IMG_8701.jpeg
    IMG_8701.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8702.jpeg
    IMG_8702.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 90
I would put the seatpost up a few cm so that you are on your tippy toes.

The stem length looks very short and has a high angle. A longer stem and one with a lesser angle will move the bars further away increasing the angle of the hip but to do this you need to spend some money.

also maybe move the saddle back as it quite far forward as your knee bend should be closer to a 90 degree bend.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well looks like I was wrong: sorry. Still looks small. A 590mm frame should fit you. I can't see the short stem dad90 can, nor its 'high angle' (which could be flipped).

OP
OP
SchumiGr

SchumiGr

Regular
@Ajax Bay @bikingdad90 thanks a lot for your insights! Here is a pic of the bike from a side angle so you have a better overview, but what I hear from both is that it is small as is now. @bikingdad90 when you say "spend some money" are we talking around 50 euros or so? Will the seating position with the recommended adjustments be okay for long runs? (I know it is a very hypothetical question without seeing me on the bike, but just an estimation/opinion).

I found another bike which is supposed to be 58, I will go have a look tomorrow - hopefully its size will be true this time: https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/fietse...o-racefiets-novy-maat-58.html?previousPage=lr

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 82

Ajax Bay

Guru
This Giant has a quill stem. A longer one would not be expensive (care with bar OD, ?26mm), but doing that will likely throw more weight onto your hands which will make a difference on longer rides, even with the saddle pushed back a bit (difficult to judge the scope for that).

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It looks true to size to me. The head tube looks a little short for two reasons; one is it has unicrown forks which tend to be tall over the tyre, and the other is it's a welded frame with a protruding seat tube. If that had been a lugged frame the top tube would have been about 3/4" higher and the head tube would be longer. At my height of 181 in those funny metric things, it would fit me very well.
Bike suitability does not just depend on height though, it depends whether your height is in your legs, your body, or an average proportion. Someone with very long legs may find that frame small, but with average legs the saddle would not need to be that tall, and the bars may go high enough for comfort.
Given you can get extra tall quill stems if wanted, and that bike does not have a modern threadless nonsense headset, I would have no hesitation in buying it and making it fit if the price was reasonable.

OP
OP
SchumiGr

SchumiGr

Regular
Thanks a lot for your insights and help. I am going to see the other bike tomorrow (although it's quite old) and if that does not work I will reconsider the Giant, primarily because it was in great condition, the guy gives a lot of extras (3 additional wheels with tyres, two front one back, one purse under the saddle, one mini computer and an air pump) and...well it is a Giant! I will keep you posted how it goes

vickster

Legendary Member
All the freebies wont make it fit you though...don’t rush into buying a bike that is much too small :okay:

Top Bottom