Giant SCR 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Hello,
I've test rode the Giant SCR 4, and my LBS has one that is classed as ex factory. They guy said when the fork lift picked up the box it had gone through the wheels.
What i'm not sure about is, i dont think its the 2008 version, which doesnt btoher me, but it doesnt look like the 2007 version because its got black bar tape and Shimano Sora, which i think the 2007 version had, but the 2008 has Shimino 2200 shifters.
Am i being stupid in thinking that it could be an older model then 2007, or could it be an older model? Did the older models have black bar tape on?

Cheers

mondobongo

Über Member
Joe I am sure pre 2007 the SCR was known as the OCR therefore your mystery SCR cant be any earlier than a 2007. The 4 that year had white bar tape. Giant used to list the bikes by year on their website but don't have them up anymore. Its not a 3 is it as this also has Sora shifters? That they are offering at a discounted price due to fork lift accident.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Nope, not a SCR3. Its white and black, with black bar tape. It looks pretty cool becuse the front is black aswell. Could be the SCR3 handlebars got mixed up with SCR4 box, but i would think its a tad unlikely. It doesnt have the SCR3 stickers on it because when i was riding it, i looked down and saw it said SCR4. I dont think it has the Shimano rear mech on it either, because i remember looking at it.
Is it worth asking about it when i ring up on Monday to see how much it is?
Which is better, Shimano 2200 or Sora? I take it, its the Sora?

Cheers

mondobongo

Über Member
I would ask for some details on it and how much and compare it to price of the SCR 4. Sora (3300) is the next step up from 2200.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

I rang them up and heres what they have told me.
The reason it has Shimano Sora shifters on is because its and ex factory it was missing some parts. So the parts have been replaced. The Sora shifters were the ones that they had in so they were fitted to the bike. And i'm taking it that the bars didnt come with bar tape, so they used black which is what they had in.(pretty cool because its what i was thinking of doing with the bar tape anyway)
I emailed Giant at the weekend, and my email was passed on to another department so i will see what they say about it.
The price for the bike is £280. So i have taken it, and am picking it up on Saturday. :tongue:

Cheers

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Joe24 said:
I rang them up and heres what they have told me.
The reason it has Shimano Sora shifters on is because its and ex factory it was missing some parts. So the parts have been replaced. The Sora shifters were the ones that they had in so they were fitted to the bike. And i'm taking it that the bars didnt come with bar tape, so they used black which is what they had in.(pretty cool because its what i was thinking of doing with the bar tape anyway)
I emailed Giant at the weekend, and my email was passed on to another department so i will see what they say about it.
The price for the bike is £280. So i have taken it, and am picking it up on Saturday. :ohmy:

Cheers

Enjoy!

I've not heard a bad word against the SCR range, my mate is over the moon with his '2.0' and having ridden it I can see why...excellent value, versatile and a nice ride.

Full road-test report required :tongue:

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Fab Foodie said:
Enjoy!

I've not heard a bad word against the SCR range, my mate is over the moon with his '2.0' and having ridden it I can see why...excellent value, versatile and a nice ride.

Full road-test report required :tongue:

I shall do indeed

Cheers, i cant wait till i go pick it up and go out on it:biggrin:

Joe

SamNichols

I have a 2.0 and I love her to pieces. The frame geometry is absolutely perfect for all purposes, bar the proper racer. You couldn't wish for a better training bike.

Mortiroloboy

I have a SCR4 (2008) (£305 plus full 'guards and bottle cage) which is my winter bike, for the money pound for pound it is excellent VFM. I have just put a pair of last years (who cares?) Black Aksiums on, and the difference between the Mavic's and the Alex DA22 it came with is astounding, I am very pleased with it, I will get it through this winter, and think about swapping off the 2200's RD and FD for a Tiagra pairing, the Truvativ power splined cranks are pretty good too.;)

OP
OP
J

Joe24

User259iroloboy said:
I have a SCR4 (2008) (£305 plus full 'guards and bottle cage) which is my winter bike, for the money pound for pound it is excellent VFM. I have just put a pair of last years (who cares?) Black Aksiums on, and the difference between the Mavic's and the Alex DA22 it came with is astounding, I am very pleased with it, I will get it through this winter, and think about swapping off the 2200's RD and FD for a Tiagra pairing, the Truvativ power splined cranks are pretty good too.;)

Did you get them to through in the bottle cage and do a deal on the guards. I'm having Race Blades on it, the Giant ones, not the very expensive ones.

Mortiroloboy

I'm a good supporter of my LBS, I negotiated with the the proprietor, so I got a deal including the full Tor Tec 'guards and Tor Tec bottle cage, saving something like £65. I recommend making a friend of your LBS it will pay dividends (literally).;) I have actually virtually stopped buying online now, as my LBS will price match the big online retaillers, plus a 10% discount as a member of my local Road club, there really is no need for me to go elsewhere.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

I've just changed to a different bike shop, because they werent very helpful with finding out the size. They just said, ahhh you'll be a medium.
I will ask about getting a discount because i want to get a bottle cage and a new cycle computer. Hopefully i will get discount, any tips? ;)

Mortiroloboy

Hmmm, I usually find that they want to sell their bikes, ideally at full RRP, but there is always room for manouvre, they would rather sell a bike to someone and take a slight cut in their profit margin, than not sell a bike at all.

You are the one with the power in such a situation, there are lots of bike shops, some on the high street and , some on line, just be hard about your negotiations, have a game plan and stick to it, never be afraid to 'walk away' not many shop owners are going to let you escape, especially if they think a competitor is going to make a sale.

I guarantee that you will get at the very least 10% discount, and if you are buying pedals, shoes clothing, as well as a bike, you can negotiate even more 20% is not unrealistic IME.

Top Bottom