Giant SCR2 - Bottom Bracket Size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woohoo

Veteran
68 mm on the 2007 model in my shed.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Np spandex - and thanks, WU.

I ask because it's knocking quite alarmingly lately (done the checks like tightening chainring bolts, regreasing pedal threads etc, I'm sure it's the BB).

girofan

What is it about SCR2 bottom brackets? There have been several posts on the Forum about problems with said brackets, mine amongst them!
Seems to me that Giant made a deal with Shimano/Truvativ to supply ultra cheap BB's and chainsets so as to keep the purchase price down. The problem seems to be that these units are of so poor quality that they last until the poor unfortunate takes the bike from the LBS! Anyone from Giant care to comment?

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Just a quick report back on this - I took the cranks off, cleaned the spindle, regreased the crank bolts and put it all back together. (Didn't do anything with the BB). Couldn't do a long ride, but as far as I could tell the clunking I was experiencing has gone after that.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
John the Monkey said:
Just a quick report back on this - I took the cranks off, cleaned the spindle, regreased the crank bolts and put it all back together. (Didn't do anything with the BB). Couldn't do a long ride, but as far as I could tell the clunking I was experiencing has gone after that.

My BB was making a terrible creaking just around 2 months after I got the bike. Turned out to be the BB not having been tightened up properly - it was very loose on one side. I took the cranks off and removed the BB, cleaned out all of the mucky gunk that had got in on the loose side, and put it all back together with lots of good Finish Line teflon grease. Problem solved :-)

Top Bottom