Giant - should I roam or escape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kev999

Interested in a hybrid bike, mainly for leisure rides along local canal paths, bridleways, and country lanes in retirement. Got pointed towards a Giant Escape 2 disc which I rather liked - felt quite easy to pedal and rather nippy and not excessively heavy to lift off the car. But I haven't ridden a bike since my youth so can't really judge. Friends I've consulted say the Escape is not a hybrid but really an upright road bike and not ideal for unmade paths etc. Tried a Giant Roam 2 disc which is quite good discount at the moment but it felt like it took a lot more effort to move along the road with it. So my question is : is an Escape suitable for going off the road with? Was it my imagination that the Roam is a lot heavier? Would a 3mm wider tyre make it feel heavier, similarly does the front suspension impact on this? Have tried, but impossible to find out the comparative weights of the 2 bikes. Or, are there other bikes in the £400-£600 range that would be better buys? Appreciate any views and advice!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Unless you're planning on serious off roading, the Escape 2 will be fine - the 35mm tyres will be fine for unmade paths and better on road as well, plus the lower weight is a bonus.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Exactly what @Jenkins says above. The suspension fork on the Roam is heavy - you won’t need it for the type of riding you’re thinking of. The 35mm tyres on the Escape are perfectly fine for bridleways and canal paths - you can always drop the tyre pressures a little bit if you’re venturing off road, that will soften the ride. The tyres on the Roam are a bit wider but also have more pronounced tread pattern and will feel a bit slower than those fitted to the Escape.

Given the choice, I’d go for the Escape!

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You really don't need the suspension fork so the Escape is the best option. Any bike is going to present a challenge if you haven't ridden for many years but as your fitness improves you'll find things a lot easier and soon be banging out fifty milers.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The bike industry marketing departments have currently got the mindset of sticking suspension on all sorts of bikes that absolutely don't need to have it, then trying to bamboozle the public into paying more money for a heavier, less responsive bike that requires more effort to ride.
The problem for them is that decent bikes are a long-life product, so in order to generate more frequent repeat business the manufacturers are, quite literally, trying to reinvent the wheel.
It's as well to remember how the original first generation hybrid bikes came about; they were essentially road touring frames fitted with flat bars, slightly wider tyres, and a wider choice of gears. They were not a million miles away from flat bar "lightweight tourist" bikes intended for day rides, which have been offered by most manufacturers for years, but tended to only have a single chainring and 5 or 6 gears. Adding a triple chainring in place of a single and upping the tyres from old-school 27" x 1 1/4" to 700 x 35 or 38mm gave the world the Hybrid.
I would not even class the Roam as a hybrid; it's really a type of hardtail MTB, although not marketed as such.

OP
OP
K

Kev999

Following your advice, I'm now settled on the Giant Escape 2 disc bike. BUT they've just announced the new 2020 version in the UK today. Would that be a better solution than the 2019 model I was going to get? RRP goes up £26 to £475. Most noticable difference seems to be 38mm tyres instead of 35mm, a double rather than triple crankset, and a more exciting paint colour! Presumably these are good improvements? so the wider tyres make it better off road, hopefully without sacrificing too much on-road performance? Am I understanding all this right?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
35mm is more than enough for your needs. I ride 32mm on the terrain you mention and have no issue. I prefer a triple to double but then ?I tour on my bike as well.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
These manufacturers can be tricky, sometimes they drop the spec to save money instead of raising the price , the outgoing model can be better value often times. So check what tyres they're using now, not just the width, is it a cheaper double chainset? The difference in tyre width is negligible.
Last year's (this) model will likely be discounted now so weigh up all these things before you buy.

Last edited:

SnoopyCycles

Regular
I see you may have made up your mind but I can recommend this, pinnacle Chromium https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-chromium-1-2019-hybrid-bike-EV306263

I purchased the ladies version at the start of the summer, following advice on here that suspension is usually unnecessary. My Chromium is great, fabulous fun to ride, so comfortable for someone who hasn’t cycled in years. It has big fat tyres and swept back handlebars. Just in case you wish other options- it’s also now discounted!

OP
OP
K

Kev999

These manufacturers can be tricky, sometimes they drop the spec to save money instead of raising the price , the outgoing model can be better value often times. So check what tyres they're using now, not just the width, is it a cheaper double chainset? The difference in tyre width is negligible.
Last year's (this) model will likely be discounted now so weigh up all these things before you buy.

Thanks for that. I'm obviously too trusting of bike manufacturers! I attach the 2 spec sheets if they mean anything to you - £475 being the new model, £449 the old.

Attachments

• giant-bicycles-bike-718.pdf
    413.9 KB · Views: 105
  • giant-bicycles-bike-1298.pdf
    428 KB · Views: 80

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't see anything too out of the way except the brakes have changed to a different model and it now doesn't say they are hydraulic so that might be worth checking.

Top Bottom