Giant Talon 1 29 or 0 29?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
Thinking or looking at either of the above Mountain Bikes. Has anyone got either how do you find it?

raggydoll

Über Member
I don't have either.
Had a look on the giant site.
Talon 1 is £729
Talon 0 is £949

I was trying to compare the specs but they look pretty similar overall.

Slightly different cranks and hubs perhaps?

Are they both 10 speed?

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
The Talon 1 is 11 x 42. The 0 is 10 x 51 both Shimano Deore. Slightly different wheel hubs but not a lot more to justify the £220 price difference.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can’t see much difference between them either. Okay, so I see you answered your own question.

Its always a good idea to post links to the bikes so we don’t have to go scrambling around looking for the models and there maybe differences between model years too.
Giant as the name might suggest are the biggest maker of mountain and road bikes and also make for other well known brands. You’ll pay a premium for the name so you’ll get better value from own brands like Boardman, B’twin (Decathlon), Pinnacle and others.
The Talon has a 1x drive which is fashionable right now but means you’ll have fewer gears and bigger jumps between them than a 2x or triple set up.
Where will you be using it mainly? Off road I guess. On the road those fat tyres are going to very draggy.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
Where will I be using it mainly? Off road, I live in Scotland plenty to go at.

I was just wondering whether someone who actually had one could answer what the difference is.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You should be able to get that information off the specs sheet and as above there appears to be little or no perceivable difference so go for the cheaper.

raggydoll

Über Member
The only difference I could see listed was the cranks. Both the same brand but different models.
And the hubs.

I don't know enough about either of those though to know if the extra £220 would be worth it.

Normally there is a clear difference between the price jumps which makes it easy to decide if the upgrades are worth it.

Maybe folks in the mountain bike sub forum will know more about that particular model.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Talon 0 has air sprung fork, Talon 1 has coil sprung fork, freehub on the 0 will be different to accept the 10 tooth sprocket (microspline) so you wil have to buy cassettes for this freehub only if it needs changing, while the 1 will have a standard shimano (or SRAM) freehub to accept a normal cassette.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
Thanks, going to try and see them in the flesh over the next few days.

raggydoll

Über Member
That sucks!

I wouldn't want to wait that long....I'd end up changing my mind multiple times within the 13 weeks.

You gonna order or hold off?

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
No, I'll just wait and see what's actually in shops. Can't trust the 'tinter net, so many say they have stock but don't really have didly squat.

raggydoll

Über Member
Good call :okay:

You could keep an eye on the 2nd hand market too on the off chance a newish one comes up at a good price.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
After missing out on the Talon I saw that Evans have some Trek Marlin 7's in stock so I've ordered one. Have to wait and see how I get on with Evans. I also brought a second hand Genesis CDA 10 Gravel bike, so the fleet has expanded quite a lot. I might have to sell/donate to charity a couple to make room in the garage for them.

Top Bottom