Giant TCX Espoir 26

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andygo

Hi
I'm new here. Just looking for advice on buying a bike for my son - specifically a Giant TCX Espoir 26.
He likes the look of it and it ticks all the boxes for what he plans to use it for - road, off road, cyclocross...but I can't find many details on what age and height it's designed for.
i also can't find a weight for it.
My son turns 10 in April, is around 138cms tall and his inside leg is 63cms.
He currently uses a Decathlon 24inch wheel bike which fits him well...but I don't know for how long...
But he wants to go off-road...the Decathlon won't take knobbly tyres (we've tried) so we need to get something else. We've been looking at Luath 26 and Frog bikes...but the TCX has caught his eye (disc brakes mostly).

I'm looking around for a shop which has one so we can try it (South Wales). In the meantime can anyone who owns a TCX give any guidance on fitting, weight etc...thanks
Andy

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
He'll be borderline 26" for cross and 700c on an XXS size bike. You may find they can fit a full-size bike such as a Scatto, with some guidelines here: https://kidsracing.co.uk/blogs/faqs/sizing-guides-kids-bikes

Is there a Giant dealer near you? https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/retailers

OP
OP
A

andygo

Cheers for that. Definitely don't want to go bigger than a 26inch wheel, otherwise I think it will be too much bike for him...

My son rides a TCX Espoir 26" - it was mainly bought for road and trail use with some cyclo-touring. He was about 125-130cm when he got it and he _just_ had enough top tube clearance on it for normal road use.

I'd say he'll probably be tall enough for CX racing on it by next winter though.

What I did find is that the Giant has the smallest standover height of all the 26" wheeled bikes we tried.

Can't remember the exact weight (I did find it somewhere) and it was about 0.5kg heavier than the Frog.

He does love it as a bike and I've been generally impressed with the build quality and componentry.

Drago

Legendary Member
Giant refuse to quote weights, because the whole weigh thing is a crock. There is no international standard for frame sizing, so even if manufacturers all agreed to quote a weight for a 'M' size frame it wouldn't make for a universally valid comparison. In addition, there's no universal standard for quoting weight either, with some manufacturers quoting for a bike ready to ride, some without pedals, some even sans tyres.

If the bike looks like it might be the one then going to have a look, feel and test ride is the only effective way to be sure the weight of the machine is suitable for him. You should have no trouble getting a test ride on a Giant.

wlpmd

You probably purchased the bike by now but I have a 10 yo and we just bought the bike. He is 4 ft 4 inches and 60 lbs. The bike is great! They redesigned it in 2020. They no longer make the 24”, just the 26”. They redesigned the frame so the 26 inch wheels model still accommodates him as a smaller rider. It was tuff to find a bike that he could use on the road but this one is perfect. Fits great. He went 40 miles on his first ride. Hope this helps someone!

Top Bottom