Giant, Trek or Orbea Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary.hounsome

Hello Guys,

I am looking to join the cycle to work scheme this year as i currently bike to work on a Hlafords Carrera and i would like to replace this with a road bike as i will be extending my journey for the way home.

The three bikes i have in mind are:

Orbea Aqua TSR 2010 £650
Giant Defy 3 2010 £625
Trek 1.2 T £650

I have read a few of the threads and notice the Orbeas are well reccomended and i do intend on trying each of the bikes before i buy but wondered if there are any tips or reccomendations you guys could make?

Does the Orbea stand out over the other two?

Is there another bike that could be put into the mix?

Also the scheme does allow me to spend up to £1000 after the tax deductions.

The bikes above plus accesories comfortably fit into my monthly budget.
My question here is, would it be worth me spending the whole £1000 or therabouts?

This would then include the Giant Defy 2 at £825, Orbea Aqua T105 or TVL and Trek 1.5

Decisions Decisions.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Big fan of the Giant Defys here. Good bikes with good kit on them. The Treks are also good bikes.

The best way to tell is to get along to a good cycle shop and try them in person. One bike's geometry may not suit you as well as anothers. BTW welcome to the forums:smile:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Chrisc said:
Bianchi via Nirone, just to be awkward!

Amazing and loverly bike! ...might be a touch too low on the handbars for someone just switching to a proper road bike, though you could whack in a couple of spacers on the steerer.:biggrin:

Chrisc

Guru
downfader said:
Amazing and loverly bike! ...might be a touch too low on the handbars for someone just switching to a proper road bike, though you could whack in a couple of spacers on the steerer.:sad:

My first road bike after my Dutch sit up and beg. No problems but they did put in all the spacers when I walked in the shop to try it. I find it very relaxed though did flip the stem the first few weeks till I settled to the new position. Spacers out next!

karan733 said:
Im quite interested in this thread because im looking at the same price range too. I spotted the Allez Elite and Secteur Sport by Specialized. Having said that, this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/via-nirone-7-xenon-2010-road-bike-ec021257 looks lurvley :wacko:

That's the one, here's mine!
whitewall3.jpg

karan733

interesting to see your seat angled downwards?! I was going to straighten mine out this afternoon because I always felt I was sliding down the seat rather than being perched on it.

Is there a science behind having it angled down vs straight?

Chrisc

Guru
karan733 said:
interesting to see your seat angled downwards?! I was going to straighten mine out this afternoon because I always felt I was sliding down the seat rather than being perched on it.

Is there a science behind having it angled down vs straight?

The rails are dead level leaving the unloaded seat 1 degree down in the nose, when I sit on it, it comes dead level. That particular saddle has a hump at the front and if you level it on the padding it presses where it didn't ought to!

OP
OP
G

gary.hounsome

Bianchi added to the list but i feel this will not be available to me through the scheme.

I have no other choice but to purchase via Halfords so have asked regarding the availability of the above bikes.

As each has a decent view from you all my next step is to try a few out if possible then i shall update.

It seems i cannot get one until August now ;) so i have plenty of time to decide!

karan733

Out of your three mentioned I tested the Trek 1.2 (in double) Its a very stiff bike, and felt very comfortable, and putting the power down even in higher gears seemed very easy with not a lot of wasted energy.

I also tested the two Spesh bikes I mentioned which are in the same price range, which I found were more popular, but didnt feel as solid when putting the power down, or stable when generally riding.

However, everyone keeps mentioning the Trek 1.2 as a beginners road bike, which is putting me off because I would prefer a solid frame which can be upgraded, rather than having to change the whole bike in a few years because it was a "beginners bike"

Top Bottom